Friday, May 7, 2010

Me Again.

I miss you! I’ve been wanting to write you a little something lately but my time’s been filled with new obligations and old ‘shoulds’ and, well, I just haven’t done it. But I miss you.


Seriously. What’s new? Furniture is new here. Finally. After a year and a half of complaining about the shoddy quality of our original set, the replacement set arrived. Not without a lot of effort on Michael’s side though. Thanks to his persistence we have this newer, nicer, pricier set and only had to surrender the old stuff. And put the slipcovers on because Some Assembly Required. But it’s Awesome because you know (YOU KNOW) it’s only a matter of time before Josh does a chocolate-covered face-plant with a running start. It WILL need the recommended dry cleaning. Probably on a fortnightly basis.

Did I tell you awhile back that Michael had Charter bundle the cable, phone, and internet? The Googles, the interwebs, and the e-mails? Anway, he did. And it was FANTASTIC! Fantastic because we upgraded enough to get me my BYU TV but also Super Fantastic because we now have . . .*drumroll please* . . . Caller I.D.! I didn’t realize this was part of the package but when someone called while the technician was still here and I could see it was an unwanted solicitation (are there ‘wanted’ phone solicitations?), I couldn’t help but share with him my newfound joy. He just looked at me. Gave me the old *blank stare*.

Charter Technician: “You mean you didn’t have Caller I.D.?”

Me: “No sir, I did not. Not since the electronic ankle monitor!”

Charter Technician: “I didn’t know anyone didn’t have Caller I.D.” *extra blank stare*

So I have Caller I.D. And I am so screening my calls. Not yours of course. No. No, I’d never do that, but you know. There are People That Need Screening. Some of you have been accidentally screened because apparently we also now have Voice Mail. I was sort of confused when people began asking me if I got their messages. Um no. My answering machine wasn’t flashing anything new. Then Michael reminded me that there wouldn’t be any more flashing lights. So now to remember how to use Voice Mail. This is not making me feel any younger.

I’m having a small problem. Tiny really, in the big scheme of things. When I used to post every day, I knew I was sharing my Stuff with a large group of friends. Most folks I conversed with on a regular basis had access to my blog and knew what I was up to. I never felt the need to apprise folks of my details during real life interactions because anything I cared to share was already Out There. Now it’s different but my mind hasn’t caught up yet (big surprise, eh?). I still write daily; haven’t skipped a day, but it’s only a journal on my computer. And now when I have real life conversations I find myself holding back because it feels like I must’ve already shared. I’m still assuming everyone knows everything. I’m saying “Oh. I didn’t tell you that?” a lot lately. I’ve got to learn to share and relate like a normal person again. So anyway.

The kids are doing fine. All the regular stuff. Sierra and I started watching The Food Nanny on BYU TV and have made a few of the meals we’ve seen. Although the Food Nanny’s dishes are a little pedestrian and she herself is so aggressively wholesome that it can be difficult to watch, the kids have mostly enjoyed the food. I need to work harder at getting the kids involved with the cooking. They’d probably learn a little something. None too soon; yesterday when I asked one child (who will remain nameless to protect the theoretically innocent) for a can of chicken broth, I saw him shake the can and give another sibling a knowing look as it was handed over. Seriously. Carbonated chicken stock? There was a little disappointment when I was able to open it without incident.

Random thought: “Ghost Busters” and “Phineas and Ferb” are both located in “The Tri-State Area” and both involve vast amounts of attempted “busting”.

Okay, my eyes are burning and I’m getting sleepy thinking of all the yard work that’s waiting for me tomorrow. Darned teenagers and their blasted sprinkler head stealing. *shakes fists in the air*. I have no proof but I only ever see teenagers and old Ukrainian women walk past. Anyway, trees to plant, smalls section of lawn to mow (the part that Mr. Malley’s sprinklers hit), weeds to pull, annuals to arrange, deck to tidy up. Blah, blah, blah. I’ve lost you already. But you’re awesome. And don’t forget, I miss you.

1 comment:

  1. I just love it (being sarcastic) when people call and start chatting away without telling you who you are talking to. Not everyone has caller id.

    Love the shaken chicken stock. Sillies. I bet you loved disappointing them.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?