Tuesday, May 18, 2010

This One's Mostly for You . . . That Is If You're Josh

Check this out! You know how I feel about succulents. A little obsessed, right? Well, one aspect of that obsession is the whole concept of propagating echeveria. If a person could really pull off a leaf and produce another plant, I’m interested. I decided to try it out a few weeks ago and pulled off leaves from several varieties I’ve got sitting on the front porch. I laid them on the window sill at my kitchen sink and gave them a few days to develop a callus. Once they looked about right, I laid them in a container with a mixture of potting soil and sand and ignored them for a week or so. And look what I found today! Roots, baby! I may actually be able to pull this off!

That was yesterday. And yesterday morning started off great. Fantastic, even. And then, at 8:15 a.m., Sierra looked at the giant calendar on the wall and said, “Mom! Michael has a test this morning! Oh! So do I!” Uh oh. How did I miss this? I don’t do things like this. I was mortified.

I yelled orders and headed the kids to the van. We dropped off Kenny and Sam at school and headed to Kennewick where Michael and Sierra would be tested for the next several hours. When we reached Quinalt Baptist Church, the WAVA (Washington Virtual Academy) teachers laughed and headed the kids in the right direction. I sure appreciated the kindness. I would learn later they these two were not the last kids to show up and testing didn’t start until closer to 9 a.m. As Josh and I headed out I asked when they would finish and found out they’d need a snack at 10:30 p.m. Nice. That meant I was coming back in a few hours. But still, crisis averted.

Next thing on the agenda was to rush home without getting a speeding ticket. My parents would be there any time and the laundry wasn’t put away, the floors needed sweeping, and my bed wasn’t made. MY BED WASN’T MADE!!!

Josh and I managed to put things to rights just as they drove up but the bed remained unmade as Skipper was unwilling to extricate himself from my comforter. He isn’t allowed to sleep in beds at Mom and Dad’s house and he took full advantage of the Tempur-Pedic magic that is 85% of our tiny bedroom. Once he realized they were here, he evacuated and hurled himself directly at his true love, Dad. That boy was ready to hit the road.

I thought they’d stay for a bit but as it turned out, the plan was to pick up the dog and head out. That is until Dad decided he was going to mow the backyard (actually, he said, “I’m gonna mow this !@%$#%@” but you know, nothing unusual there). In my defense, I did mow it last Wednesday—it wasn’t a jungle or anything. But I sure appreciated it. Mom and I made snacks for the kids and before I left to deliver them, she had the weed eater started and was finishing up Dad’s work. They don’t do anything by halves, those two. They blow into town, work like a team of oxen on crack, and they blow right out; never a dull moment and never a job left undone. Except my garage. They’ve never stuck around long enough to fully take on that train wreck (though to their credit they have built a full complement of shelves to accommodate any organizing we may one day attempt. Ha!).

Did I ever tell you that Michael works 26 miles away? Well he does. So it was a treat to meet him for lunch. He happened to be at WSU-Tri-Cities attending training on ASME B31.3, whatever in the world that is (you could tell me and I still wouldn’t know), so Sam and Josh and I met him at Burger King. Because Iron Man. Obviously. Sporting upside down crowns, they put their Iron Mans (Iron Men?) together and began yelling, “I’m Sally O’Malley and I’m FIFTY YEARS OLD! I like to kick, I like to stretch, and I like to kick!” as they kicked, stretched, and kicked with the toys. I think Michael was a little embarrassed; the place was full of people from the training. Those are my boys! They obviously pay way more attention to my antics than I thought!

Have I told you lately of the very sad news that my favorite lip gloss has been discontinued? I’ve been using it for ages and then BAM! it’s gone. I made a pilgrimage to all three Walmarts in the greater Tri-Cities area and located six tubes. Another five online. But I’m still a little sad. R.I.P. Rimmel Vinyl Gloss in “Snog”. Yes, I’m being dramatic. I suppose. SNOG!

Tomorrow my baby turns four. Can’t hardly believe it. Four years ago I sat in a hospital bed at Kadlec Medical Center, disappointed a little. My doctor thought for sure Josh would come by the time “E.R.” was over. He walked in to check on me again and noticed Michael sleeping on the couch. He decided this was a good time to talk to me about making sure this was the end of the line. He said, “I know people. He could wake up with a bag of frozen peas in his lap.” I needed the laugh.

My sweet surprise was born a few hours later. And he’s kept us on our toes ever since! He is awesome. He makes me laugh every day and by way of entertainment value, he gives way more than he gets. Tonight he spent a few hours with Sierra and the boys while Michael and I went to the Delta High School orientation with Michael Jr. I imagine a fair amount of television was watched. When I turned on the bath water for him tonight, he hopped in and began singing, “Who’s that lady? Sexy lady!” from the Swiffer commercial. Seriously. You KNOW laughing is both not an option and the ONLY option. And that’s how it always is.

Tonight I wrapped him up in a few blankets and took him out front for a cuddle in the swing Michael hung in a big sycamores while I was still in the hospital, recovering from this little man’s exit. From the swing we could see the glowing “Kadlec” sign and I sang “The One Bathing Suit Your Grandma Otter Wore”. I don’t think he gets the humor of the song but he’s a good audience.

Tonight, as his eyes were closing, he murmured his last words as a three year old: “I want ice cream . . .” Sounds about right. Man, I love this kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?