Monday, April 5, 2010

When the Family Gets Together After Evening Work is Done

Back to the old grind today. Quite the rude awakening for Kenny and Sam. I let them sleep longer than I usually would but they appreciated none of it. It was one of those mornings when I wished I’d mounted the stairs prepared with a spray bottle of water. Poor boys but you know, the whining is so ridiculous. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when they ran out of the van to school. *sighs* It’ll be better tomorrow. It MUST.

I decided today that I’d listen to General Conference talks and Ensign articles on that Mormon Channel app while I ran errands. I made the decision from a sort of One Day At A Time, YOU CAN DO IT, white-knuckled, sheer will, this is going to be lame, kind of place. I am a music freak and you know it’s not the sort of music you hear at church or when you walk into Far West Books. But you know what? I did it and the more I listened, the more I wanted to hear. Shocked myself a little. I know it’s all good stuff but sometimes what’s good for you isn’t hugely appealing and there are so many other shiny things vying for my attention. You know how I feel about peas and cauliflower and you know how I feel about Reese’s Eggs and Cadbury Mini Eggs. I know what’s better for me but what do you think I’m interested in right now?

Anyway, I listened and listened. And I prayed for the fortitude I would need to conduct Family Home Evening. I have no idea why it’s so hard for me but I think it has to do with the fact that no one will quit talking or fighting long enough to hear a lesson. It’s insane. But I know my attitude has been a huge part of the problem. It’s so easy to throw in the towel when there’s contention and frustration. But I guess the prayer helped because I kept on keeping on, even in the face of, well, in the face of Everything. I sure wish our Family Home Evenings were like there’re meant to be. How does that song go? "When the family gets together after evening work is done, then we learn to know each other popping corn and having fun. Then our father tells us all a story, mother leads us in a song, and it seems that nothing in this world could possibly go wrong!" Bah! But hope springs eternal, right? It has to get better. There are blessings to be had and darn it, I need them.

So anyway, that’s my Monday. That and I decided to read The Federalist Papers. Or listen to them. I may be getting too lazy to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?