Tuesday, April 6, 2010

3 Nephi 18:20

It’s quiet right now. I just finished the latest “American Pickers” and all I hear is the hum of my laptop and Michael mumbling something about “The iPad is here . . .”

This morning I hopped out of bed and landed on my knees. I had a serious favor to ask Heavenly Father and I was willing to skip a few meals to let him know I was serious. Today was the lottery for placement at Delta High School and I pleaded that the outcome would be in Michael Jr.’s best interest. I needed to get moving and didn’t have time to dig into the scriptures before I got the kids out the door so I grabbed my books and silently asked to be shown something I needed to know. Here’s what I got:

“And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.” 3 Nephi 18:20

I laughed; I looked left, I looked right. Seriously? I’ve never had such an obvious reply. I’m feeling very confident that if this is right for Michael Jr. then it will happen. I can’t ask for more than that. I mean I could, but you know.

I meant to accomplish some Things today but an appointment with the ophthalmologist and a visit to the Fred Meyer garden center absorbed any usable time I had for extra projects. And a kick in the wallet rounded off the morning. I learned today that Miss Sierra’s eye sight is rapidly declining. Time for bifocals. Is it insane that I’m getting weepy writing this? The poor kid is only eleven. There’s always Lasik right? Hundreds (and hundreds) of dollars later we walked out with new glasses ordered and my head spinning. We had some time before we needed to pick up Sam from kindergarten so we stopped by Fred Meyer to pick up some basil I needed for dinner. We ended up with a few $1 fuchsias, a couple of small strawberry plants, two pink calibrachoas, a few echeverias someone was administering a death blow to (way over watered), a basil to plant and some for tonight. While I was there I called Michael Jr. to ask how many eggs we have. I knew I needed six for dinner but he confirmed that we had 17.

This afternoon Sierra, Sam, and Josh pulled out a long roll of paper and the paints and brushes Josh talked his dad into yesterday. Note to self: Either pay full attention to what Josh is doing or confine the painting to the great outdoors. I’ve cleaned paint off the bathroom walls, the stairway, and the table. His shirt was covered with it and he turned the bathwater colors. Which is fine, I mean it has to be, but some days I just haven’t budgeted the time for that sort of catastrophe.

I made pork chops for dinner. I’ve never made them before (I KNOW!) so I wasn’t sure how they’d turn out. I’m going to write down what I did so I don’t forget. Let’s see. I mixed up something like a teaspoon of cayenne, a teaspoon of paprika, and a couple teaspoons of thyme with a cup and a half of flour. I dredged the chops in that mixture, browned them, and put them in the crock pot. Then I cooked down a few cups of chicken broth, about a half cup of lemon juice, and some minced garlic and poured that over the pork and left it to cook for a few hours. Everyone ate it so it will probably get a repeat.

When I mixed up the batter for zucchini fritters I found enough eggs but not nearly as many as Michael Jr. claimed we had. Turns out he was counting the Easter eggs on the fridge door. Some days I just shake my head. But I laugh too, you know? This recipe is worth sharing because it’s really tasty:

Zucchini Fritters

6 eggs

3 zucchinis, shredded

1 zucchini, diced

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups vegetable oil for frying

Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl with a wire whisk until smooth. Stir in the shredded and diced zucchini, then season with salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and basil. Add the flour a little at a time, stirring between additions until no dry lumps remain. Heat the oil in a large skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drop the batter into the hot oil by the spoonful a few at a time making sure not to overcrowd the oil. Cook until the fritters are golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving. We like them with ranch dressing.

All this writing about food has me feeling peckish. Hmmmmm . . .

2 comments:

  1. The Zucchini Fritters were great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the fritter recipe. I love zucchini but wanted to try it a different way. Now I have a reason to. I'll be thinking good thoughts about Delta. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?