Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What Do You Do All Day?

We have this giant calendar in the kitchen. It’s on poster-board and I bought it and had it laminated at Fun 2 Learn before they went out of business. It used to keep me on top of things but somehow, over the last month or so I kind of stopped writing things on it. I’d either think I’ll Remember That or I’d slip appointment cards in at the top and figure I’d remember them too. I haven’t actually missed anything important but I feel like my brain isn’t plugged in or something.

Since we’re down to the last week on this calendar I decided I’d better clean it off and try again with my rainbow pack of Vis a Vis markers. I pulled out all the invitations, appointment cards, expired coupons, and advertisements I’d stuck at the top and even found Sierra’s dream recipe. A few weeks ago she dreamt she was reading Family Fun magazine and saw a recipe for The Teen Relief Cupcake. I have no idea if this was supposed to cure acne or orneriness but either way the cupcake cross-section she drew looks pretty sweet.

So anyway, it’s all cleaned up and filled out and looking fabulous. Except for the part where I’m gone for the next two weekends. I’m looking forward to what I get to do; I’m not going to lie or anything but I’m not looking forward to leaving Michael with most of the kids. He’s got a lot on his plate already and these kids are sort of a team effort if you know what I mean.

Later today I was washing off the counters for something like the 50 millionth time and it occurred to me how much time I spend trying to maintain a certain level of Business as Usual. Nothing to write home about or anything; nothing anyone notices unless it’s not done. Things like sweeping, mopping, emptying the dishwasher, wiping off counters, doing the laundry. The stuff that’s got to get done but leaves me with no time to tackle the larger projects. I think that what I do doesn’t go totally unnoticed but there are those comments (I think in jest) that make me wonder. The “What do you do all day?” questions. I don’t even know what I do all day. Pick up, sweep up, fold up, wipe up, blah, blah, blah. And drive people places. But heaven help me if I don’t do it. It’s a delicate balance and it really feels like things fall apart at the first moment I find a larger project to focus on like the basement*, the sound stage of Hoarders (the back room in the basement, same square footage as the living room, where I can no longer see the floor), the garage, the roses, the raking, or even my Sasquatch-like toe nails I haven’t painted since January. Boo hoo.

But hey little campers, this isn’t the first time I’ve thrown myself a pity party over seemingly insignificant chores that fill my day and it probably won’t be the last. I’m not a total knuckle head; I know the work is important. It reminds me of Pointillism. Looking at a painting by George Seurat at close range won’t give you the slightest clue as to the subject matter. It’s sort of hard to believe that so many blah little splotches could yield anything of beauty or significance. But step back a bit and there it is.

*Which, by the way, is looking better and better. I’m maybe a day or so away from Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?