Saturday, March 13, 2010

It Only Smells Like My Birthday

I woke up this morning to delicious smells: pancakes, sausages, and a pot full of steel-cut oats with raisins. I’m sold on the oats; I don’t think I’ll be going back to rolled any time soon.

Corrina’s bridal shower was at Andrea’s house in Rochester at 11 o’clock. I left a little early because I realized last night I was card-free. I found Hedden’s Pharmacy in the middle of Tenino, so that little problem was solved. Furthermore, I forgot to write up a recipe on the recipe card enclosed in the invitation that I also forgot. So far so good.

Additionally, I didn’t bring a gift but that, my friends, was totally acceptable. How is that possible? This was a Pampered Chef shower. I’ve never been to anything like this but it sure made the shopping end of things simple. I just chose something from a list of items Corrina had her eye on and that was that. Easy Peasy. I added a few things for myself on the order form because 1 for you, 3 for me and voilà! Done.

And what a fun shower! Not because we played games (which only makes it funny, not necessarily fun) or because I even got off my rear and watched the cooking demonstration. It was just so fun to see my girls again. And Michelle! I hadn’t seen her in a long, long time (at least 11 plus years). We talked and laughed and laughed some more. I sure wish we all lived closer so we could get together more often.

When the party was wrapping up, Ellen and I headed out to Olympia to eat more because you can’t consider shower food a meal, right? Shhh! Anyway, we drove through a cloudburst to Budd Bay Café and spent a lovely afternoon reminiscing, catching up, and discussing the formidable social skills and foresight of Dolly Madison. Because you never know with us. You just never know.

Eventually we had to leave but first we attempted to take a picture of ourselves with my phone. I’m still no good at it and as we both tried, a smoking, bearded old guy and his girlfriend walked up. He asked if he could take the picture. I shrugged my shoulders and handed the phone over. I whispered, “I’m never gonna see that again, am I?” He handed his cigarette over, looked at the phone and said, “Bitchin’! What do I push?” Seriously. He said "bitchin'". He took the picture, I got my phone back, and Ellen and I had a laugh. And like always, it was over way too soon. I left her with her car at a gas station near Rochester and I headed back to my parents’ place.

With a belly full of clam chowder and blackened halibut tacos, I walked in to find my parents had made my birthday dinner. Uh oh. Where was I going to put that?

It was hamburger stroganoff and if you’ve ever come to my parent's house for dinner on December 12th, you’ve had it. Josh asked if it was my birthday and I had to break it to him that it only smelled like it. On the upside, I did bring cake home so, thanks to Ellen and her last minute discovery of a clean ziplock bag in her tote, he had that to look forward to.

On the Mom’s on Facebook front, she’s getting the hang of things. There are still some questions but that’s what I’m here for, right? I mean aside from Corrina's shower. Tonight we had this exchange as we sat at the table after dinner:

“I’m going to ask you a stupid question.”

“I doubt it.”

“No really. It’s pretty stupid.”

“Okay. I’m bracing myself.”

“When I write something in the status box, can anybody read that?”

See friends, that wasn’t stupid. But yes, all your friends can see it. Everyone. She isn’t used to this weird internet world where what you say is announced for all to hear. It’s a whole new ball of wax or can of worms or something. And what is a ball of wax, anyway? And why are my feet so cold? My throat doesn’t feel right either. Oh man. I’m not only digressing but I think I’m getting sick too. Please send virtual chicken soup with extra-thick noodles. Hold the carrots.

2 comments:

  1. Don't get sick!!! Hopefully it's just allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life Lesson #63: When a bearded man smoking a short cigarette(don't forget the earring in his left ear lobe) approaches you and offers to take your picture with your stunning iPhone you just graciously accept his generous offer.
    Because what else can you do and it was all worth hearing a throw back phrase like "bitchin" used perfectly.

    I can't breathe I'm laughing so hard! I might have laughers asthma.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?