Friday, March 26, 2010

In the Dumps, Down in the Mouth

Mom and Dad got here this morning. Skipper seemed ready to turn himself inside out with joy, jumping up, up, up, up to lick Dad’s face. I think he was very happy with us (because we let him sleep in our beds and aside from seared flesh and chasing cats, there’s nothing he loves more) but I do think he wondered where Dad was. At our house he could aggravate several cats (at home Bagheera won’t give him the time of day) and it went as far as Bobcat losing a claw over it. I pulled it out of Skippers head a day or so ago. That almost seems like it would be more painful to the cat but who knows.

Dad’s got several projects going on around here but I stayed out of the way this afternoon. I worked on weeding the bed under the living room window and getting it ready for some sedum I’d like to buy tomorrow (2 for $10 at Fred Meyer!). I just didn’t feel fit for company. I know I’ve gone on and on about it but this cold sore is kicking my butt. I’ve had a number of them over the years but nothing like this. I’ve had headaches for the last few days from the pain. And to add insult to injury, I’ve developed several canker sores on my tongue. In a perfect world I could crawl under the covers right now and wake up in a few days when this has run its course. It’s totally uncool to have my parents here and all the delicious food they make with this going on. I’m enjoying nothing. Okay, pity party’s over.

Dad and Mom brought the truck and trailer over today so we could make a dump run. We had a couple of old recliners to get rid of, one of those swings with a canopy that the sun had got the better of, and so, so many sycamore leaves. I think I’ve mentioned this before but one of my favorite things is to throw things into the open containers at the dump when there’s glass left by a previous dumper. I’ve thrown things through plate glass windows, shower doors, and today it was a box of canning jars. It seemed a waste but there wasn’t a safe way to salvage them. When it was time to off load the recliners, Dad decided to throw them into a neighboring container. This one was maybe half full and I took a picture of Sierra helping my dad launch it. The next thing I knew he said, “Take a picture of this!” and he hoped right in! The kids were amazed! I wasn’t surprised or anything, just real glad there wasn’t anyone there to give us a hard time or ban us from the dump. Because man I love the dump.

Amid coolers full of food, half barrels of mushroom compost, a rototiller, and various and sundry yard and garden items, Dad had a special gift for me. My very own smoker! I’ve been wanting to learn how to smoke meats (brisket in particular) for awhile and now I’ve got something to work with. Tomorrow we’re going to pour a cement pad for it out by the garden shed and I’ll be set. I’ll have to start looking up some techniques and recipes and see what I can come up with.

I think I found something to wear to Corrina’s wedding. I saw it in a catalog that came in the mail and it was advertised as being perfect for women with essentially no waist. Well friends, that’s me. So I put it in the “cart” and I looked around some more to see if there was anything else I might be interested in. Michael was on the bed behind me and perked up when I came to the swimsuit section.

“I’d rather see you in that.”

“I wouldn’t.”

“But I have a chance with you.”

I pretended to be a little offended but it was funny because, well, because I have a warped sense of humor.

What a strange night. We watched “Fantastic Mr. Fox” and by 9 p.m. it was lights out. I better hit the sack too; I’m sure tomorrow’s a big day for one reason or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?