Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Home Bound

Uh oh. It’s 9:47 p.m. and I don’t have the slightest idea what I’d like to write about tonight. Nothing particularly interesting happened today but that’ s not necessarily a bad thing.

I was homebound and will be for the majority of tomorrow as well. When I took the van to Les Schwab on Monday the good news was that the problem I was noticing was warped rotors. All that’s under warranty so it didn’t cost anything. The bad news was that we really needed to take it to the dealer when they were done. They hooked it up to a machine for diagnostics and the result was a lot of red flag situations popping up. I am not what one would call ‘good’ at dealing with pesky details such as ‘warning dash lights’ and ‘telephoning the dealership’. There never seems to be a great time to hand over the keys and go transportation-free. And what on earth will it cost? I mean really, dealerships are known for charging top dollar. I wonder if McCue’s could have just dealt with it. They’re a block away and known for their great work and fair prices.

But anyway. I texted my fingers off making arrangements for the kids and we dropped the van off at the Honda dealership this morning. Out of the blue I had a day to spend some quality time with my new underwire-enhanced steam cleaner. It was pretty sweet knowing there was no need to hurry off to school (or anywhere else for that matter).

Michael Jr. finished up with school and took a bike ride to that video game store down by Winco. Apparently for a small fee they will resurface scratched disks. He wasn’t sure if it would work for his defunct Wii disk but his prior attempts to fix it by applying Chap Stick to the scratches was a FAIL. He was pretty sure he’d have to buy a new one if he ever wanted to play it again till he read about this service online. After a quick trip to Office Depot for a compass, he came home and tried it out. Works like new.

In the meantime Sierra decided she’d like to take the boys a few doors down to the playground behind the Episcopal church. I warned her that I wasn’t about to run down there to get Josh when she was ready to go. He has a history of not respecting her “Time to Go!” warnings. She assured me that she could handle it. Until she couldn’t.

Mr. Life of the Party wouldn’t come when she called and he threw rocks down the slide (I’m still trying to figure out why Sierra took a picture of this instead of stopping him . . . ) so I had to stop my steaming and haul rear down the street in mismatched flip flops to deal with the perpetrator. He was definitely surprised to see me! Such a little mischief maker. I threw him over my shoulder and walked back home. Someone needed a nap. But, as he likes to say, “I’m not naughty”.

I really don’t have much to say tonight do I? Since this is the case, I’ll share the dinner recipes for tonight as they were pretty tasty and will definitely be repeated:

Crockpot Korean Ribs

(This recipe is from crockpot365.blogspot.com)

1 package of beef short ribs (or pork!)—[the cookbook by this same blogger calls for 4 lbs.]

1 cup soy sauce

1 cup brown sugar

5 whole jalapeno peppers

1/2 cup water

The Directions:

I plopped frozen solid beef ribs into the crockpot. I didn't even think of browning them.

I then put the soy sauce, water and brown sugar on top, and threw in the WHOLE (don't cut them!) jalapenos on top.

Since my ribs were frozen, I cooked them on high for an hour, then used a wooden spoon to smash them down further into the crock. Then I cooked on low for another 8 hours.

These are the blogger’s words; I actually used fresh boneless ribs. I’d suggest going for bone-in next time but they were still very good. We had rice with this and my favorite broccoli recipe:

Roasted Garlic Lemon Broccoli

2 heads broccoli, separated into florets

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2.In a large bowl, toss broccoli florets with the extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, pepper and garlic. Spread the broccoli out in an even layer on a baking sheet.

3.Bake in the preheated oven until florets are tender enough to pierce the stems with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and transfer to a serving platter. Squeeze lemon juice liberally over the broccoli before serving for a refreshing, tangy finish.

That one’s from www.allrecipes.com and despite totally forgetting the lemon tonight, it was really tasty.

I better hit the sack; I’ve got a full day of not leaving the house tomorrow. The van’s getting a new seatbelt and EGR valve so I won’t be seeing it till later tomorrow. Honestly I don’t miss it but give me a day or two and I’m sure this would grow old fast. I’m just glad I finally took care of this; I’m looking down the barrel of another weekend out of town and crossing the mountains with a van lit up with alerts would be not unlike me but not particularly smart either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?