Monday, March 8, 2010

Charity Begins at Home

Did I mention I have a new calling? I heard there was going to be a whole lot of changes coming down the line when I was asked to take on this new job but I didn’t ask what they were; it wasn’t any of my business. On Sunday there turned out to be even bigger changes than I imagined. Primary, Young Women, and Relief Society were all involved. This happens every so often.

I’ve been called to be the Relief Society Secretary. I’m humbled; I don’t know how I qualify. Patti says it’s my heart and that she knew more quickly than she ever has before who was to replace the members of her presidency who were moving on to other callings. I don’t doubt I belong here but I’m such a work in progress. I’m such a struggle. I want to be that totally charitable woman who makes this work but that’s part of my identity as A Struggle. I guess this is where the rubber meets the road.

I don’t know exactly what this calling entails aside from praying more, fasting more, studying the scriptures more, becoming instantly organized and efficient as well as being on my feet a lot on Sunday. It’ll be a snap, right? Quit laughing! And just to be on the safe side, please keep me on your perma‑prayer list. You know I’ll need it. Tomorrow Edna will show me the ropes, pass the torch, etc. and I’ll learn more about the expectations. I’m thankful for it; it sounds like she was very good at the job.

We had our first meeting as a presidency this morning and Patti talked more about charity. She spoke at length yesterday in Relief Society but DesireĆ© wasn’t able to be there so she gave us the highlights. Charity, as we speak of it, is the Savior’s greatest attribute. As Patti put it, it’s mandatory but it’s also a gift. We must plead for it and we must be worthy to receive this in our heart. It’s just not part of the whole Natural Man package deal. Paul wrote about it in his first epistle to the Corinthians. Newer translations often use the word ‘love’ instead of ‘charity’ but for me that doesn’t work. ‘Love’, at least in my modern mind is something I feel. Charity, on the other hand, is a state of being:

1 Corinthians 13:3-8

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth . . .

So anyway, I’ve got a ways to go. Some growing and stretching to do.

Tonight we had leftovers. Sopa de arroz, refried beans, and tacos. Sierra and I with our taco salads. I have no problem with this. Michael has no problem with this. And just like the dentists, 4 out of 5 kids had no problem with this either. All but one. With rants of, “Even Mexicans don’t eat tacos two nights in a row!”, this child finally sat down with a microwaved Hot Pocket. Does this child not know he’s Mexican? Or that tacos are delicious any night of the week? It wasn’t my fault he decided to eat tacos for breakfast and lunch. My blood was starting to boil. As the evening continued I talked to Michael about the fact that everyone was asleep before 8:30 p.m. the night before. How rare it is for a mom like me to ever really experience total quiet that early in the night. Kenny turned to me and said, “I know! That is rare. You should really raise us better.” *sighs* Oh Kenny. You deserve to be throttled for that but hey, charity begins at home, right?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a little more of the charity lesson. This calling is going to push me harder and faster than any other calling I have had thus far. You're right about the throttling, but we must begin practicing charity somewhere. (*sigh* putting off the "natural man" is tough work.) I also am right there with you and tacos, always good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It cracks me up that at least one of your kids doesn't know their Mexican heritage. Paige is hilarious at Mexican restaurants (orders chicken nuggets and fries) and, when she was 3 at Fiesta Foods: "Mom, would these people happen to be my culture?" (in a very loud voice, of course - the only time she's ever had one.) :) Buenos Nachos! :)

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?