Tuesday, March 9, 2010

All's Well That Ends Well

Today was Spa Day at M.O.P.s. Once a year we have hairstylists, massage therapists, eye brow waxers, a chiropractor, and a few other folks on hand to pamper us and give us a day of relaxation. This year there wasn’t anyone waxing brows but there was a table set up with mirrors, wax strips, tweezers, and the like. As much as I need this stuff (because Josh likes to stroke my chin and say, “What’s this hair?”), it totally freaks me out. I’m afraid I’ll make them uneven and every time I’ve had them waxed I end up looking like a plucked, scalded chicken. Face aflame with tiny pimples to follow. I was meant to go au naturale. You’d think. I started talking to Sinar about it while we were at this table and she seemed to know what she was talking about. Lining a pencil up with a nostril to show me where the brow should start and drawing something on a napkin that looked alarmingly like the introductory geometry Sierra’s become involved with lately. I screwed my courage to the sticking place and asked her to tweeze my brows. I didn’t have to ask twice; she settled right in and began what would be the single most painful thing I’ve experienced outside of childbirth. Or maybe my gallbladder debacle. I don’t know. Did I ever tell you about that? Anyway, it hurt so bad! And it just kept going! My nose started running and my eyes watered. She told me we need to tweeze our brows so we don’t look like loggers. Sinar is so funny. And she did a great job. No flared up, puffy skin and I don’t look like a logger anymore. I think it was worth it but I just wish it was a little more permanent.

Today my Shark Steam Pocket Mop (with its very own patented steam pocket technology!) arrived in the mail. I was so excited! Michael Jr. worked at opening the box but I quickly grew impatient and did it myself. I only had about ten minutes before I needed to leave to pick up Kenny so I pulled it out and tried to put it together fast. I wanted to see it burn through the practically invisible grease, grime, and dust on my cabinets. I couldn’t wait! Which is always the first sign of trouble. I unscrewed the small opening for water and took the contraption over to the sink. Sierra grabbed and shook it. Oh no! She said the lid must be inside! Without taking a second to realize that a) it was impossible and b) the lid was on the kitchen table, I stuck my finger inside the water area and pulled at a thin rubbery tube that was attached to the thing she thought was the lid. Instantly it popped off and Uh Oh! Broken. Sierra walked over to the table and held up the lid. Oh my gosh! What had I done?

Well, nothing to be done about it at the moment. I picked up Kenny and his friends and as they each donned bad French accents and discussed their upcoming soccer “battles” this Saturday (Seriously. They were referring to their games as ‘battles’.), all I could think about was that stupid, awesome steam cleaner. Darn it! I kept whispering prayers that Michael could fix it and we would stay married.

After school I headed over to see Edna and get a rundown on what my new duties as Relief Society Secretary would be. She’s ultra organized with the whole shebang and had everything I’d need in a tote and a thumb drive. Thank goodness. I know I’ll bumble around for awhile but in theory I should be able to get up to speed soon.

And the steam cleaner worries continued to plague me.

As I shopped at Winco and left my checkbook behind.

As I rushed Kenny off to soccer practice ten minutes late.

As I finally explained to Michael what I did.

As I slaved over Monte Cubanos and listened to him complain under his breath. He worked and worked and worked at it. He sent me to the dollar store for balloons and rubber bands. Maybe they would work. When I returned he was in the final stages of fixing the blessed thing with a new tool. An underwire from an old bra of mine. That he’d saved in his workshop area in the basement. Because maybe he could use it sometime. I may scoff and invoke the name of "Hoarders" but for once, "It might be good to have" turned out to be true!

Our favorite sandwich from the now defunct Gourmet magazine. It really isn’t hard at all and we multiply the ingredients and make several:

Monte Cubano

Serves1

2 slices firm bread

1 to 2 teaspoons mustard

4 or 5 dill pickle rounds

2 slices boiled or baked ham

2 slices smoked turkey

3 thin slices Swiss cheese

1/2 garlic clove

1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise

1 large egg

2 tablespoons whole milk

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Spread 1 slice of bread with mustard and top with pickles, meats, and cheese. Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt, then mix with mayonnaise. Spread on remaining slice of bread and assemble sandwich.

Beat together egg, milk, and 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper, then soak sandwich in egg mixture.

Melt butter in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat. Cook sandwich, uncovered, until underside is well browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook remaining side, covered, until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 minute.

1 comment:

  1. So how did it work on the grime??? I am very intrigued!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?