Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Big One


Look how serious! Hardly seems he could be an 8th grader. When you have a baby, especially your first, you get bombarded with the “It goes by so FAST!” And honestly, it’s kind of hard to imagine with the first one. It’s years before they’ll even be in school and in the beginning it can be hard to fathom more than a week out at a time. I nursed for over six years. Had children in diapers from 1996 until 2009 (except a 15 month period between Sierra and Kenny; Sierra began sneaking her brother’s underwear out of his drawers and using the toilet well before her second birthday). It’ll go by fast? Yeah right.

But it does. Four years from now my oldest will be headed toward high school graduation. Doesn’t seem possible. And I sound just like one of those people I used to roll my eyes at.

Tonight we went to a Seminary information meeting at church. If you aren’t familiar with this, it’s a religion class LDS youth can take throughout high school. Being a Seminary graduate is great goal but I guess it can be a challenge because if you take it all the way through, you’ll be short credits to graduate. Part of this meeting was spent sharing ideas on how to make up the differences. Things like Zero Hour classes, summer courses, Running Start, getting your algebra and a foreign language done in 8th grade, etc. Bah! My head’s spinning!

And we haven’t even started high school.

Richland High School has the largest Seminary group in the Northwest. That’s quite a claim to fame considering the size of our town and the side of the state we’re on. And for Michael Jr., I wouldn’t say larger is better. As we sat listening to current Seminary students and President Powell speak, I kept wondering what the deal would be if Michael were to be accepted to Delta High School (a new S.T.E.M. school down the street) next year. As it turned out, that was the first question from the audience. The Seminary teacher said that unfortunately they don’t have a class during the day; the kids there go at 7:30 a.m. Well giddy up! How is that not better? No need to make up credits; just get to school early. Problem solved. Now if we can just get the boy in.

In the meantime I have to get my ducks in a row with Richland High. In case he doesn’t get accepted to Delta. Gotta straddle that line. He wants to be homeschooled for high school and frankly I just don’t know. I’d have to look further into Three Rivers Home Link and Running Start at CBC. I sort of hate going rogue like this. I see other people do it and think they’re Fabulous Parents. Doing what it takes to make it work for their kids. But the thought of homeschooling MY high school student? *sighs* I just don’t know.

I feel like I’m strapped in and gearing up, click, click, click, click, as my rollercoaster car makes its way to the top of the Big One.

1 comment:

  1. I love that image of gearing up toward the top of the rollercoaster. I can practically hear the car catching on the stops. And feel the lurch my stomach takes as I prepare for the scary thrill of the freefall on the other side. Terrifying and exciting at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?