Friday, January 29, 2010

Pay It Forward and Stuff

I saw this on Desirée’s blog this morning. I don’t know if I was one of the first three commenters because I think she hasn’t moderated the comments yet but I thought it would still be fun to play along:

Pay It Forward

THE RULES:

1. Be one of the first THREE bloggers to leave a comment on this post, which then entitles you to a handmade item from me. (It will be a surprise but I promise to make it something fun)

2. Winners, you must post this challenge on your blog, meaning that you will Pay It Forward, creating a handmade gift for the first THREE bloggers who leave a comment on YOUR post about this giveaway!

3. The gift that you send to your Three Friends can be from any price range and you have 365 days to make/ship your item. This means you should be willing to maintain your blog at least until you receive your gift and have shipped your gifts. And, remember: It’s the Spirit and the Thought That Count!

4. When you receive your gift, please feel free to blog about it! If you are not one of the Top Three Commenter's on this post, you can still play along. Start your own Pay It Forward chain, and encourage your blogging friends to do the same!

I wonder what I’ll make you? Hmm. I’ll have to give it some thought. I suppose it may be a leap to assume I’ll get three bloggers posting to begin with but we shall see.

Have you been couponing? If you have (and you live over here), you probably know that it’s time for the giant Quaker sale at Albertsons. It drives me crazy every time. I get ready to restock the food storage with huge amounts of granola bars, oatmeal, and cereal only to find the stores haven’t ordered enough to keep us lunatics pacified. Nothing irks me more than a wasted trip to the store. Okay, plenty of things irk me more but still. I try to have lots of coupons ready (via eBay—thanks for taking care of that Becky!) so things cost around 50 cents. This morning I drove over around 7 a.m. only to find the promised truckload hadn’t been dealt with yet. Becky texted later to say even when it is, it won’t have what we want. I decided to try Walmart. I know they ad-match but wasn’t sure how they’d feel about my 15 $1 off 2 boxes coupons. I loaded up anyway and strolled past the cranky looking checker, making a beeline for the nervous looking young kid. I figured he wouldn’t give me any trouble. Sure enough, he just went along with whatever I told him. After all that it occurred to me that I should have just asked for a rain check at Albertsons.

Later I had some time between early-release kindergarten and the rest of the elementary school’s early-release (have I mentioned how much running around I do on Fridays? Boo!) so I sat down with Sierra to watch Project Runway and cut out some things I found in Kenny’s backpack. The picture is of one of them but they were all the same shape. There was an information sheet attached to them but I’m smarter than a 3rd grader so I put that aside and spent most of the show trying to figure out how to tape it into a shape. Seriously. I thought I was losing my mind until Sierra took one look and said they’re probably flash cards. Nice try Tiff!

*sighs*

This afternoon was strange. I can’t remember the last Friday I didn’t have several additional kids at my house. Usually it involves mock wars and holes dug in the backyard as well as elaborate Playmobil scenarios in the living room. But today, it was just my five. I could practically hear crickets. After playing with Josh for hours, Sam asked if he could watch something about dinosaurs on his dad’s laptop. I pulled up Netflix and we found a few things. Before I knew it he was going through the list, rating each one according to how much he liked the cover art. I wonder what sorts of movies Netflix will start recommending now?

This evening Michael and I went to a farewell get together for his boss’s boss. At a bar. I don’t find myself in bars often and probably wouldn’t have wound up in one tonight except this is someone Michael actually really likes. He went to M.I.T. as well and at least in the times I’ve spoken to him, he seems to have a very kind heart. I’m glad Michael had him around, at least for awhile. Michael’s always had good things to say about him but when I saw his admin tear up when he hugged her goodbye and then cry when her friend tried to comfort her, I knew he was probably right.

Once the overwhelming smell of pot wafting over from the table next us became more than I could take, we left for dinner at Famous Dave’s. Famous Dave is a liar because our 30 minute wait turned into about an hour. It wasn’t all bad because the food was ultra yummy and since our appetizer didn’t arrive until after our meal, the waitress comped it and our sodas. I’m glad we didn’t pay for those onion strings Michael ordered. They always sound good when I’m hungry but more than one or two and I’m more than done.

What a weird post. But good enough. Goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. I did a similar thing with the kids flash cards when we lived in UT. Oh well. I guess blonde moments aren't just for blondes. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I guess my last comment didn't go through - hopefully this one does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Deena, my last comment didnt' go through. (Is this like the flashcards??)

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?