Monday, January 4, 2010

Don't Hate Me Because I'm Organized

I’ve been thinking about my own mortality lately and it’s prompted another New Year’s Resolution/project.

(I know, I know; enough with the ideas . . .)

For a long time it’s bothered me that I’m not prepared for the possibility of the loss of my husband. I’m not talking about insurance; we’ve got that. I’m thinking more along the lines of passwords and procedures. I would already be overwhelmed with the grief and the children and their grief and the details. The little details that I’m sure most of us don’t think much about until we lose someone we’re sort of responsible for. I don’t want to think about things like this. What I really want is for my overburdened husband who has no time for any other obligations, to create a manual for me. Everything I need to know In Case of Emergency.

I guess I could be one of those women who do everything and it would be my husband left in the dark. But the thing is, I don’t want to do everything.

So anyway, this plagues me a little.

My new project doesn't solve this problem but thinking more about it I realized that Michael would probably be in a similar situation if something happened to me. So, under the category of What's Good for the Goose is Good for the Gander, I’ve come up with a plan.

*drum roll please*

My Binder and The File System. This will help me keep track of family information and it will also serve as a place for Michael to go for information if something were to happen to me. If. It’s funny how we talk. Because something WILL happen to me. It’s just a matter of when, I guess.

So, enough of the morbidity, here’s how I’m doing it:

The Binder has these sections:
I. Health
a. Medical information about each person including blood type and allergies
b. List of the kids’ vaccinations with the dates
c. A medical appointment log to record when we go to the doctor and why.
d. A similar sheet for the dentist.
e. A prescription list with names and dates.
f. A page for addresses and phone numbers of doctors, pharmacies, dentists, health insurance provider info, etc.

II. Home Finance
a. A monthly budget sheet.
b. A list of bills we pay each month.
c. An inventory sheet for anything insured or with a serial number.
d. A list of information, contact and otherwise, for the banks, insurance (life, car, home), and if we had them I guess I’d also list the attorney, accountant, and investment broker.

III. Maintenance and Repairs
a. A list of home maintenance things we need to do and when with the name and number of the service person.
b. A list of home repairs with the dates, the problem, the cost, who repaired it, and any additional notes.
c. A car maintenance log for each car. It will list the make/model, V.I.N.#, registration, license plate, warranty, and insurance as well as have a place for listing the work done on it with the date and mileage.
d. A list of numbers and addresses for people like the painter, plumber, contractor, electrician, handyman, and house cleaning service (in my dreams).

IV. Yard and Garden
a. A planting schedule with a place for the dates and plants.
b. A log for fertilizing and general maintenance.
c. Our fruit trees aren't very big yet but a pruning log would be something to add.
d. A list of names of addresses of local nurseries, pest control service, and lawn service (I wish).

V. Important Records
a. Just a list of where to find important things.

VI. Family Preparedness
a. An up-to-date list of what we have and where it’s located (food and supplies).
b. A list of what we still need.

That’s all I’ve got so far. The Preparedness section needs some work. Next is The Folder System. I don’t know if it’s a system or anything but I have folders for things like :

Meals Most of Them Like
Food Storage Recipes
Things I Want (Don’t laugh!)
Christmas Gifts (for those ideas you get or for things you’ve purchased and hidden)
Scouting (files for each boy listing things they need to accomplish)
Addresses (I have this on the computer too but if it crashes I’m out of luck come Christmas)

This list is really short because I just started but I have a file holder and will keep adding as I come up with things. Lately my laptop has become completely shifty and untrustworthy so I like the idea of a hard copy. Something I’ve got even when my computer’s gone to the dark side.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this idea - David has a lock box he created for me called his love box. He takes care of all of the financials and the important papers and stuff - so he put it all in one box so I would know where to go if something happened to him - but I never thought about doing the same for him! Thanks for the inpsiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany...thank you for posting this. It's such good advice...something every household should have. I am gonna start my own file ASAP! You never know what tomorrow holds...and how long our own memory will last. Thanks for jump starting me, so to speak. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are organized! This sure makes me think of all the things I do that my husband has no clue about. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?