Monday, December 28, 2009

One of Many Resolutions I May or May Not Keep

We woke to a fine dusting of snow and it kept up through most of the morning. Very pretty but not likely to last or amount to much. I was surprised the kids didn’t rush to throw on snow clothes and play in it. I also wasn’t surprised to catch Kenny running around in it barefooted. I wish I was but this is a very Kenny kind of move. “Yes, you have to wear a coat!”, “Where’s your hat?” and “You’ll catch your death!” always fall on particularly deaf ears with that one. I’d write “LOL” next, but you know, I can’t pull it off. Maybe CTM (chuckles to myself)?

Another Christmas letter arrived today, this one from a cousin. He listed the good, the bad, and the ugly over the past two years (he didn’t write one last year) and then proceeded to blame me for feeling the need to write in the first place; my Christmas letter guilted him into it. That’s okay with me; I can take it! It reminded me of my dad this year. At Thanksgiving he mentioned maybe not writing the annual letter but I figured he’d eventually just do it anyway. People look forward to it. It’s always funny and irreverent and includes highlights of the year, semi-fictional accounts of the comings and goings of the dog and cat, his take on world events and, as always, his product endorsements. I was surprised when people began telling me they didn’t get one.

He did the cookie deliveries for mom this year and mentioned being roundly rebuked for holding out on everyone. He told me he’d like to write it but it’s just been a bad year all around; Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize and we’re still in Iraq and Afghanistan. That we are. But as Thomas Sowell said, “Like a baseball game, wars are not over till they are over. Wars don’t run on a clock like football. No previous generation was so hopelessly unrealistic that this had to be explained to them.”

There are a lot of arguments to be made about whether or not we should have started with Afghanistan to begin with. We went in after September 11th 2001 to find Osama Bin Laden and other high ranking Al-Qaeda members and to destroy the Taliban. Surely this needed to happen but of course nothing is so cut and dry. Bush’s decision to make no distinctions between such awful organizations and the countries that provide safe haven means we invaded a sovereign nation. And we don’t fight full on, giving everything we have so who knows how long we’ll be there. Additionally, blah, blah, blah. I just wanted my dad’s letter, you know?

I noticed that a few people actually took the time to write actual messages to me in their cards. Not generic holiday greetings but words especially for me. I think I’m going to write back. Actual letters or at least note cards. Wouldn’t that be something to find handwritten mail in your mailbox? I think I’d like to write a letter or two once a week. I have several New Year’s Resolutions that will surely have a shelf life of less than a week but maybe I can stick with one related to writing. Do you have any resolutions you think you might keep?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?