Sunday, December 20, 2009

Knitting Marathon Loser


















*sighs*

Mom made chile rellanos tonight. Green chile burritos too, but it's the rellanos that I love. I wonder if anyone noticed that I ate six of them. That I didn't quite get around to putting anything else on my plate. Probably not. Too busy cracking jokes and poking fun at each other. Tonight we had this exchange:

Sierra (to her dad): "Mom thinks Taylor Lautner is hot."

Me: "So? He is. Except for the Cro Magnon brow."

Michael Jr.: Blah, blah, blah, something about the Upper Paleolithic.

Me: "Do you think I don't know that?"

Michael Jr: "You probably do; you're part anthropologist."

Then he was harassed by everyone for that. On my mom's side or my dad's?

Did you know that the term Cro Magnon is no longer used by scientists? After many years of research it's been determined that they really weren't so very different than Neanderthals to require a completely different designation. Scientists now use the terms 'Anatomically Modern Humans' (AMH) or 'Early Modern Humans' (EMH) to refer to these creatures that look a lot like us but weren't quite in possession of the complete array of modern human behaviors .

"And your point", you ask? I don't have one. I just have nothing much to share today. I slept in till 8 a.m., it rained most of the day, and I spent hours and hours working on a pair of slippers for Michael so I can felt them and fit them with leather soles in time for Christmas. Because really, there's no time like the last minute. I wish there was but apparently for me it doesn't work out that way.

Additionally, I have a reputation with my husband for making and doing things for others and not for him. There was a time when I had a lot of extra free time (before kids) and I made a few afghans for gifts. I went so far as to buy yarn in M.I.T.'s colors and then I had a baby and it just didn't happen. When I did make things I focused on smaller items like socks. I've also made treats for other people, you know, things like that. So this year I vowed that I would make him some Spectacular felted wool slippers, not because he needs them but because I need to show him that he's a priority. There are probably a million better ways I could do it but there it is. So I'm on a serious knitting rampage and hoping to finish the first one before the three hours of the Survivor finale is over tonight.

How's that for a Wife Fail? Ignoring the one you love so you can focus on showing them they're a priority. Hey kids, don't try this at home.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I think what happens after years of being together, is we just get comfortable. It's not that we love them any less, we just don't realize we're not "showing" it. And I think it is a better person that realizes it and makes a change rather than continue on the same "comfortable" path. Why do you think so many people get divorced after their kids are on their own, it's because they stopped taking care of each other YEARS ago because they didn't realize what they were doing. It happens to all of us.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?