Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Klutz Loves Her Raisin Nut Bran

I took a look in the mirror yesterday and decided I couldn’t wait any longer. I called Tamara Pruett at The Split End and made an emergency appointment. How does a person get an inch of grey at the roots in a month? I headed over this morning and now the hair’s been put back to rights and it’s shorter too. The price tag was such that I’m left considering a) doing my own touch ups and b) growing my hair out again. I mean if it grows that fast I may as well grow it and wrap it around my head like, well, I don’t know like what.

On the way home I stopped by Winco to refill the fridge after the trip. As I filled the cart I found myself walking past my dear Raisin Nut Bran. I almost never buy this delicious cereal because I have no self control with it. A box is two and a half servings. Maybe. It’s funny because there are zillions of far worse foods I’ve eaten in the past few months but this one always looms large as a diet Fail. Maybe because it’s pretending to be all healthy but I know the truth. I sound like I’ve lost my mind, don’t I? Could be. But me and Raisin Nut Bran, we go way back. Way back. For as long as I can remember my mom would have a box of it waiting for me in the cupboard any time I came home. I haven’t lived at home as anything but a house guest since 1988 so it’s officially Tradition. No one else there eats it so I know who it’s for but I can go through boxes of it during a visit.

This time when I walked past the RNB, I threw a box into the cart. And it’s half gone already.

Next stop was the end cap display of frozen El Monterey frozen chimichangas. My spell check does not like the word “chimichanga” for some reason. What’s not to like? This is not a regular purchase but they’re a favorite of Michael Jr. and Kenny so I grabbed a package. I grabbed a package and about ten others hit the floor. Because I’m like that. Almost impressively klutzy. Did I ever tell you about the time I spilled red punch on my sister-in-laws cream carpet at my bridal shower? Well I did.

At home I set about to put some groceries away and do some cooking (a pre-New Year’s Eve batch of spinach dip because we couldn’t wait and a big pot of black bean soup). In the process I spilled a Costco container of grape tomatoes all over the kitchen (no surprises here, it’s what I do) and broke the dishwasher.

I snuck off to have a giant bowl of cereal in the afternoon and watched part of a 48 Hours Mystery. At different intervals during the program, the sound would go for just a couple seconds. It made it seem like the speaker was being censored. Exactly like they were cursing. Sierra and I noticed something similar yesterday while watching a video on the computer about Dominos new pizza (I still think it’s not so good. Me N Ed’s is the BEST). This chef gal was listing the things they added to the new sauce and the last item was bleeped. Sierra looked at me and said, “Wow Mom! What do you think she said?!” Rest assured, I’m sure it was family friendly. Just a secret or something. But of course our first thought was NAUGHTY.

This is probably another topic for another post but sometimes the whole Adult thing makes me nuts. Maybe I’ve already mentioned it. Why does Adult have to mean Cinemax and bow chicka bow wow? Just like those parts of the show with no sound, when we hear the word “adult” in reference to entertainment, we think NAUGHTY. Or Jurassic Perv as one of my children blurted out today. Yeah, that’s right. This child heard the reporter on 48 Hours mention that a man named Dr. Richard Hammond had a hidden video recorder in his bathroom. Instant connection between Dr. Richard Hammond in Jurassic Park. Can’t be too careful about what your kids are listening to, can you?

We need a movie designation that’s for grownups that doesn’t have to have salty language added to get a non-PG-13 rating. It’s almost like an R rating is necessary to be considered Serious and Grown Up. So anyway, it’s a little peeve of mine. That and how small the Raisin Nut Bran box is.

P.S. Michael saved the day and fixed the dishwasher!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?