Friday, December 11, 2009

Goodbye Thirtysomething

Well folks, this is it. I’m saying goodbye to thirtysomething tonight. If you were me, would you open the present sitting on your desk at midnight or wait until morning?

This morning the phone rang off the hook with friends asking and informing. Some told us the power was off at the elementary school but it was supposed to be back by 9:30 a.m. Others called because they lost power and wondered if we had as well. I was wishing school would be cancelled because I hate the comings and goings of early release Fridays but no such luck. Sam was pleased; he had a “Parent Participation Day” and there would be Winter songs and crafts.

(Because OBVIOUSLY we can’t sing about Christmas. It would be cool if we could celebrate this plus maybe Hanukah or Kwanza if there were any adherents in the class. Might be educational or at least marginally interesting. Although you’d never know it by spending time in the kindergarten wing, Fall and Winter are not holidays. At least not to non-Pagans.)

But anyway.

Let me state for the record that I stopped caring about the 40 thing. As far as you know. It’s okay. I’ll only be one day older tomorrow than I am right now. Who knows why we compartmentalize our years into decades and then assign significance to them. I mean, I guess I should, being the anthropologist but whatever. I don’t.

I do have a plan for tomorrow though. I mean to get up early, put on layers of clothes (because we are so VERY cold here!), and hike Badger Mountain by myself. The only thing stopping me is common sense and the pictures of snowflakes I’m seeing on my iPhone weather app. I’ve promised Michael that I won’t go if it’s snowing. It probably won’t be a hard promise to keep; sleeping in sounds awfully nice right now. Not Exciting and Meaningful or anything but nice nonetheless. Besides, I need my rest; I have an afternoon at a day spa to gear up for thanks to Michael. How’s that for a sweet gift?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?