Saturday, December 12, 2009

Because I Win at Being 40

























And just like that, I’m 40.

Somehow, despite all the mental meltdowns and freak outs that lead up to it, it turned out to be the BEST birthday in the history of EVER. My EVER.

At midnight I couldn’t wait and opened my present from Tom and Charlotte. It was a beautiful bracelet from Tiffany’s!

This morning started out right because I slept in and gave myself permission to flake out on the hike up Badger Mountain. I woke up to little boys crawling over me and wishing me a happy birthday and that’s hard to beat. When I got up and saw that there was no snow and a clear view of Badger, I threw on several layers of clothes, screwed my courage to the sticking place and headed out to climb that thing anyway.

When I came home my dear husband was ironing all the clothes for church (!). Bonus. I cleaned up and as I headed out again he handed me a package from the mailman. It was a box of Fat Witch brownies from Fat Witch Bakery in Chelsea Market (NYC)!!! My dear Ellen somehow knew just what I needed.

Next stop, my birthday gift from Michael: an afternoon at Nouveau Day Spa. I haven’t experienced anything like this since our honeymoon at Rosario Resort on Orcas Island. About a million years ago. The massage was incredible though for some reason the masseuse was all set up for the prenatal version. Um, NO. I’m not even remotely prenatal—just one more facet of the BEST birthday EVER! So anyway, they fed me and massaged me and I even left with a pedicure and manicure. It was so relaxing although I did feel a little out of place. I just don’t take great pains to take care of things like rough feet and dry skin. I know, I know, I should. I’m pretty sure L'Oréal said I’m worth it. I knew it was bad when the woman taking care of my feet asked if I use lotion. Ever? “I’ve done the best I could.” How embarrassing! But somehow this doesn’t embarrass me at all and I can’t wait to go back.

And guess what? When I walked out, I was greeted by a flurry of Birthday Snow! I’ve never had that before! The downside was that it was still daylight and I came home to find the kids, all five of them, struggling to find snow pants, boots, gloves, hats, and coats. That’s always a recipe for complete chaos. They “helped” their dad shovel the sidewalks (all but Josh had snow shovels; he used a rake) and then stomped snow all over my hardwood floors but it was still beautiful to have snow on The Best Birthday Ever.

Tonight Michael took me to dinner at Fiesta with Deena and David and we had a great time (except for the part where a GIANT sombrero was slapped on my head and a multitude of wait staff began singing to me in Spanish and referring to me as “Panchita”). We went to see “Invictus” about the events that lead up to the 1995 Rugby World Cup win by South Africa. First of all, although I know that “Invictus” is a really powerful poem by William Ernest Henley (because I win at Google), I must admit the only things I know about the game of rugby are as follows:

a) Michael played for M.I.T.
b) My sister-in-law’s brother-in-law played for London
c) It’s manly. Very MANLY.

And secondly, well, I have nothing. Except have you ever heard a scrum? Ah, the grunting and bleeding . . .

And on that note I will say goodnight and thank you so much for all the Awesomeness you sent my way today! I have the best friends ever.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?