Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day




















Have you heard this one? It’s Veteran’s Day and a veteran wakes up at the crack of dawn, fries up some bacon for his breakfast and washes a sink full of dishes no one (namely the little woman) quite managed the night before. Off to work he goes while his family is left to rouse when the mood strikes.

Sadly, this is not a joke.

I was feeling rotten about it all morning and decided we should make a special dinner for Michael. While Sierra was making banana chip muffins I asked her if she had any ideas. She held up a can of Pam she was using to spray the muffin tins and said, “This looks good”. The label showed grilled chicken and a variety of steamed vegetables. It looked healthy, I’ll give it that much. She said she was willing to make it but, darn it, we don’t have any broccoli, yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, or red peppers. Too bad.

I still had a trip to Albertson to make (buy one Sarah Lee pie for $6.39 and get another pie and two cartons of Breyers ice cream free—run, don’t walk!) so no excuses, vegetables would be on hand. I even made a pumpkin pie with Splenda so maybe the brownie points from that will offset some of the earlier lameness of the day.

Now if I could just stay awake.

I woke up earlier than I had to but clearly not early enough to be of any service. I decided I would do this awful job I’ve been putting off for a long time: Cleaning out the three drawers of the table in the foyer. Yeah, I called it a foyer. Anyway, they’re always jam packed with flashlights in various states of disassembly (thanks Josh), packs of Trident (thanks Dad) and tons of gum wrappers (thanks again Josh), movie stubs, sunglasses (oh so many pairs), utility bills (for trips to the dump), bottles and bottles of hand sanitizer, tons of key chains (I think one of the older kids must’ve removed all their souvenirs from a backpack), receipts, several Rubik’s Cubes (if you’re surprised, we haven’t met), and all the miscellaneous junk we’re sure we’ll need as we walk out the door. It was definitely rewarding; I found all the keys to all the previously useless bike locks, several children’s library and bank cards, as well as my pepper spray. Having unaccountably averted a total disaster, it’s now out of Josh’s reach.

Well, this post is about as relevant to Veteran’s Day as all those sales I keep hearing about. Nonetheless, I am grateful for the men and women who fight that uphill battle to preserve our freedoms (those we still have) and make it possible for me to freely express myself as I do. I’m thankful for a husband worthy of the important role he’s played in our country’s defense. Not that I’ll ever know anything about it. He’d have to kill me first.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?