Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thankful

Look! My do’s even cute in the “National Lampoon’s European Vacation” beret I bought Sierra when I was in Paris the summer before last! Do I look more like Rusty or Audrey?

It’s Sunday and it’s almost Thanksgiving so I was able to sing “Prayer of Thanksgiving” more than once at church today. I love that song.

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens his will to make known.
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing.
Sing praises to his name, he forgets not his own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining his kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
thou, Lord, wast at our side, all glory be thine!

We all do extol thee, thou leader triumphant,
And pray that thou still our defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!

I keep noticing that folks are using their Facebook status update box to tell what they’re thankful for. Some are even doing it daily. I think I wrote one, tongue in cheek yesterday but that’s it so far. Tonight I am thankful for the Del Real Pork Carnitas I bought at Costco last week because they are delicious and because I appreciate dinners that I don’t have to cook myself. For the ultra lazy you can also purchase the Del Real Refried Beans and Rice. Couple that with some Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde and some tortillas and you’ve got a recipe for Happy Tiff.

I’m also thankful that Josh and Sam have stopped howling about whatever they were mad about. I think Josh was just mad about having to wake up for dinner while Sam was upset about the actual menu. He really had his heart set on meatballs for some reason. And while I have nothing against meatballs, I’m no short order cook. The end.

I’m thankful Michael Jr. mastered the 4 x 4 Rubik’s cube because it was something he spent two days studying. It’s good to see your kid put effort into something and in the end manage to come off the victor. On a similar note I’m thankful to be sitting next to Sierra as she puts the finishing touches on a dishcloth she’s crocheting for her Grandma. Just two days ago it was IMPOSSIBLE but now she’s got a skill she’s eager to expand on.

I’m very thankful that Kenny’s found something he enjoys reading almost as much as the “Diary a Wimpy Kid” series. He’s discovered the Encyclopedia Brown series and he and his dad try to solve the mysteries each night before turning to the back of the book. I wish he’d put his newly minted detective skills to work around here and solve the mystery of "Who Peed in My Orange Crocs?".

(The fact that I own these shoes is a bit embarrassing to fess up to. I think they’re ugly and I make no apologies about it. Still, Mom gave me a pair awhile back to wear around the house, gardening, etc. and they are, admittedly, pretty comfortable. But they’re still UGLY.)

I’m thankful for grapes Josh just brought me, so firm and delicious they make an audible crunch when I bite into them. I’m thankful for lavender scented baby shampoo and a washer and dryer that aren’t waiting for a visit from the Sears repair guy.

I’m especially thankful for a husband who made salsa this afternoon and washed the dishes. Oh and who also made homemade tortilla chips.

Looks like I’ve got an awful lot to be thankful for!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?