Thursday, November 12, 2009

Oops, I Did It Again


















Kind of a late start. We went to the Reflections award ceremony tonight because Michael Jr. entered the watercolor of the deer. He was disappointed to receive an honorable mention but it’s enough to get him to the city-wide competition so who knows.

This was One of Those Days and it just didn’t seem to slow down enough for me to sneak off and write. I get my Facebook fix by keeping my laptop open to it wherever I happened to be located but as far as accomplishing anything computer/writing related, well, NO.

I did accomplish this HUGE task during the first part of the day. I cleaned and organized my desk and shelves as well as the top of the armoire in our bedroom. That last part sounds like a snap but you cannot imagine (or maybe you can) how high the Stuff was piled there. After it was all said and done I ended up with a box of things for Michael to make decisions about (the box in its entirety will eventually be taped up and stored in the garage, waiting for our kids to haul it to Goodwill when we die). This was the weirdest sort out I’ve ever done. The actual real estate this bit of chaos occupied was small but it took HOURS.

Why the sudden need for organization?

Well my dears, it’s like this: I pulled the oldest two out of middle school and enrolled them in Washington Virtual Academy, an online public school.

That’s right, I’m homeschooling again. That ought to light up the lines.

It’s something that’s been on my mind for a long time but I’ve said no each time the kids asked. I simply didn’t feel like taking it on. And then a few weeks ago something just snapped in my tiny brain and I decided their arguments for it were legitimate. The thing is, my job is Mom. I really do need to evaluate their needs and fill them (or teach them to fill them for themselves) as best I can with a whole lot less thought about convenience. It’s not like I’ve got them for a heck of a lot longer.

So anyway, the two of them feel like a lot of time is wasted in and out of class, they don’t want to be around the foul language or age-inappropriate opposite sex behavior, and they want to work ahead in certain subjects. It seemed reasonable and because they’re both very early risers (between 5:30 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.), they can get an early start on their work and have some free time while the sun shines. Also, they’re good students so I won’t have to sit next to them all day and crack the whip. Probably. It all sounds pretty good on paper (or a glowing screen) but I know it won’t be easy (for me). It will require me to adopt a schedule as well as help the kids put schedules together for themselves.

That ought to be interesting.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I admire your dedication, and your children's, to a better education.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?