Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nothing To Do Today Day


















At a quarter past eight this morning I suddenly realized Kenny was the only child on the main floor. Up the stairs, I step over a basket of laundry and turn off the bathroom light, Sierra’s light, the boys’ light because no one understands that lights on = money flushed down the toilet. Muttering under my breath until I look around to see Josh and Sam are both asleep. That’s strange. There’s no accounting for Josh’s state of repose but a hand to Sam’s forehead reveals the return of bug. This blows.

The thing that doesn’t blow is that a sick day for Sam means I give myself permission to go nowhere. To sit with him and watch TV while I transcribe Grandma Huck’s journal or work on the super secret THING I’m making for SOMEONE’S birthday. Secret because I really have no idea what I’m doing and I could be completely screwing it up. This hairpin lace loom is really making me rethink my choice of THING to give for SOMEONE’S birthday. Who even uses these things? Mom found it at Gee Gee’s in Yelm because I couldn’t locate one here. So anyway, if it turns out okay I’ll post a photo later. Because inquiring minds may or may not give a rip.

It also felt like a good day for baking so I made a few loaves of whole wheat bread. I’m totally impressed with myself until I read in Grandma’s journal about making 13 loaves of bread before she started on the cakes, cookies, and doughnuts. The kids didn’t eat all the oatmeal this morning so I figured I may as well make muffins too. I have this great recipe that shows you how to use what you have laying around. I think my pumpkin blueberry muffins would have been great if I’d used some restraint with the pumpkin and added a bit more baking powder. I’d give you the recipe but it’s mysteriously disappeared. Or at least my kids can’t seem to find it. I often wonder if I’m the only one with children for whom items become completely invisible the moment they need to be found.

Later this morning I thought about an article I’d read in Time magazine. Something about hula hooping being some sort of super exercise. Sounded crazy to me so I pulled out the mostly unused Wii Fit. After breaking the news to me that I’ve become Obese and have gained 12.5 pounds since I last stepped on the platform 156 days ago, I found what I was looking for. Much to my surprise it was totally fun! I missed each hoop thrown at me (all knocking me upside the head) and I can’t wait to try it again. Note to David: And no videotaping!

Eventually the kids came home and I had to handle a meltdown about, well, I better not say or it will give away the child. But anyway, I’m trying to keep my cool, be authoritative, etc. It’s hard. This particular child just didn’t seem able to stop, take a breath, and figure out what to do next. Even with me spelling it out. Then I remembered something I heard on a sitcom last night. As punishment for lying to his parents, a boy was made to stay within 5 feet of a parent at all times when not in school. You and I, we know this is insane and much more punishment for the parent than the child but guess what? This child of mine didn’t call my bluff. I need to be careful how often I threaten that. After reading these years of entries from my Grandma’s journal I’m convinced a week with her on the farm would solve a multitude of attitude disorders we seem to encounter around here. That woman would have them cured of that in a snap!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?