Friday, October 2, 2009

My Turn

















Ultimately, the bullet was not dodged.

I kept Sierra and Kenny home again today though they seem a good deal better. Low grade fever but able to make it through the day without sleeping. And me? I felt just fine, thank you very much. Until an hour or so ago.

I made a pot of minestrone and a few loaves of bread later in the afternoon but a combination of a last minute trip to Winco for rye flour, a weird feeling of moving in slow motion, and a classic misreading of the recipe lead to a dinner e.t.a. of Too Late. The ingrates troops were getting restless because it is Pizza Night and pizza wasn’t materializing. Michael saved the night and drove a few blocks away to Gourmet Soul. A rack of baby back ribs, greens, dirty rice, beans, coleslaw, corn on the cob, and we were back on track. Messy but good.

Not only is it Pizza Night but Movie Night as well and as we sat down in front of the TV I realized my lungs were starting to feel, hmm, how shall I put it? Burdened. Heavy. Suddenly a painful cough. Then another. Strange, I don’t remember ever having a cold come on like that. Just like that. Without sniffles or a sore throat first. Maybe it’s nothing. Maybe these achy muscles will feel better in the morning. Maybe.

Its times like these I wish I had the ability to write something ahead of time, that I had a file to choose from. But no dear friends, I haven’t got it in me. But I won’t stop either because I haven’t figured out how. Oh! Hate Mail! Maybe that would work? Well anyway kiddos, I’m hot to down some Nyquil so say Good Night!

P.S. This bread was so yummy.

Tecate Ranch Whole Wheat Bread

2 Tbs+1 tsp bread machine yeast
2 2/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup canola oil

4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rye flour
1 1/2 cup white flour
2/3 cup wheat bran
1/4 + 1 Tbs gluten flour
2 Tbs flax meal
3 tsp salt

I use my Kitchen Aid mixer. Add yeast to warm water. The rest just goes in right on top, in order. Turn on the mixer, with a bread dough blade, and let mix for about 5-6 min. Let rise once. Knead then separate into two loaves and put into greased bread pans. Let rise again. Brush top with melted butter (or olive oil spray in a hurry-not quite as good). Bake 350 for 28 min. Let cool five min. Remove from pan and let cool completely (important for good loaf) on cooling rack.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Mustache contingency number two, if you stop blogging, it grows, even if the goal weight is reached.

    PS Domo like the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I need an update pic of the stash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry the germ monsters have invaded.

    Hey, I just saw the sign yesterday for Gourment Soul. Any good?

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?