Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Momville

Every day, several times a day, I get Farmville and Farm Town requests on Facebook.

Here’s a cow. Will you send a gift back?
Won’t you be my neighbor?

I think I accidently started a farm by trying to see what my oldest two were doing. Now I get notifications that people have “worked” on my farm. Would I like to return the favor? Boy, it must be quite a dump because I’ve never done a thing to it. Though, with my track record, it might be all the more fabulous for it.

My kids are hooked. From the looks of my Facebook home page, plenty of others are too. The kids will tell me they need to get on the computer for just a minute; they need to harvest their strawberries. They’ll say things like, “I wish the wheat took less time to grow,” or “They had to spend real money to get that!” It’s sort of freaking me out. I’m afraid to find out what they like so much about it because I used to think the same thing about Bejeweled Blitz. Unfortunately I now am completely clear about that one.

It’s kind of funny the pride they take in their little farms. Making things look nice. Wouldn’t that be amazing if I could harness that enthusiasm and make it work for me?

Like real work. After school I told the kids we were raking leaves in the front yard at 4 p.m. Be there or be grounded. And I’d make it as cartoony and pleasurable as possible by employing the use of Jack o’ Lantern leaf bags. Yay! It’s not work; it’s decorating! We’re earning pumpkins!

Well, not a lot of enthusiasm was to be found but then again I wasn’t offering gold coins, fruit trees, or tractors.

As I write, Sam is sitting next to me. He just asked if I was writing about my Grandma’s life. Nothing could be further from the truth, could it? Gorgeous farms and no effort whatsoever.

“No”, I said, “It’s mostly about mine.”

“This is about YOUR life? Write that Josh was a bad boy today. Because he really was. Okay, that’s good.”
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?