Friday, October 16, 2009

Hanford Friday Off

All day long and nothing came to me. No idea sizzled like Pop Rocks in my addled brain, begging to be written down. Nothing. NOTHING. I’m beginning to get a little worried!

I suppose I could abuse you, my captive audience, and tell you about my day although I’ll admit from the get-go that it wasn’t particularly horrifying or funny. You know what it was? A typical Hanford Friday Off.

Around these parts there are several companies out in the Hanford Reservation that have their employees work longer days and give them every other Friday off. I delude myself every other Thursday into thinking that Michael and I will get so much done we won’t have to run around like maniacs on Saturday running errands with the rest of humanity. Either this or that we’ll have a relaxing day enjoying each other’s company. What I ought to do is just tell myself straight up that it’s going to be a chaotic, mostly lame, totally unproductive day. And just go with it. Be done with the pretenses. Paste on a smile and act like that’s exactly what I was hoping for.

One of the reasons these days are unproductive is because our school district has early release for the elementary school kids on Fridays so teachers can have planning time. This means half of a half day for our kindergartener. We pick up Sam at 10:40 a.m. (didn’t we just drop him off??) and Kenny likes one of us to have lunch with him so that means we’re back there at 12:05 p.m. We’re back in a blink of an eye because school’s done for him at 1:15 p.m. Today was even more special because once a month the middle school kids get out at 11:00 a.m. Michael called for a ride and an hour later Sierra was finished with a meeting and wanted one too. No time for Michael and Tiff or really just about anything.

We (read: Michael with a little oohing and ahhing from me and maybe a nozzle twist or two) did manage to blow out the sprinklers between dropping off the boys and picking up Sam. That was the Big Deal of the day and it felt pretty good to get it done. It was fun too; Josh enjoyed seeing the water and air shoot up in the front yard, especially when 3 or 4 sprinkler heads caught Bob Cat unawares as she lay sprawled out in the grass. I’ve never seen her move so fast!

After having lunch with Phoenix and taking her to the Book Fair I headed home for a few minutes before picking up Kenny. Wait a second. Who’s Phoenix? And why am I hanging with her instead of Kenny? I’ll tell you why: Because she lets me. Kenny dug into his Personal Pan Pizza with accompanying root beer, let a friend squeeze in between us, and proceeded to harass several buddies about how many laps they ran (or didn’t) in the Jog-a-thon earlier today. Phoenix, on the other hand, LOVES to eat lunch with me. She’s a dear girl Kenny has had in half his classes since kindergarten and any time she sees me at school she runs up with a hug. She sneaks away from her class in the lunchroom to sit by me and tells the kids I’m her Half Mom. She tells me all the things she’d like to do when she grows up and I tell her what subjects she needs to ace to do them. She reads me Sponge Bob riddles from her cheese stick wrappers and I pretend I don’t know the answers. It’s our thing. Because like I said, Kenny has bigger fish to fry and that’s actually okay with me.

I decided that although we had half a dozen errands to run during the afternoon that we were going to begin with a trip to the pumpkin patch at Job’s Nursery. It’s conspicuously lacking a hay maze, petting zoo, bounce houses, and high prices but this year I was ready for something entirely different. The younger kids ran around like chickens with their head’s cut off looking for the perfect pumpkin and at 17 cents a pound I was more than happy to let them pick more than we actually needed. Still, with 13 pumpkins (peduncles all intact!) sitting outside our front door, it’s looking a little crowded . . .

So, Staples, Barnes and Noble, Costco, Walmart . . .and, well, time’s up, done for the day. Still have plenty left for tomorrow but who knows, maybe I’ll squeeze in something fun ;).

1 comment:

  1. I have a great friend who moved to Corvallis-and she made a new friend there who gave her some words of wisdom! When Mother's Day (or any holiday-including Hanford Friday off) comes and you have ideas of how it "should be" .....you have already set your expectations too high!!! But, instead of being disappointed, you need to lower your expectations! EX: Mother's day & Breakfast in bed....lower, lower....a card & a hug! Hanford Friday off & some romantic time alone....lower, lower....picking pumpkins and no one go hurt! Just remember....lower, lower...
    and you won't ever be disappointed! :)

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?