Thursday, October 22, 2009

Creatures of Habit


















Mrs. McGrady’s Got CANCER!!!

As far as kids’ programming goes, I like “Arthur”. Still, why does PBS or Marc Brown or The American Cancer Society or Lance Armstrong (who by the way, makes a crazy scary bunny) for that matter, think my kids need to hear about Mrs. McGrady and her cancer-ridden self EVERY day for a week? We have only one channel that provides children’s programming and instead of turning the TV off and finding something else to do, the kids sit there and watch it again. And AGAIN. Each morning. Most afternoons. Over and Over.

Sam’s on a hotdog kick. He prefers cheese dogs but really any hotdog will do. Every day after school he asks for one and if he had his way he’d have one for dinner. He thinks he’s died and gone to heaven when he gets a foot-long at Sonic. Over and Over.

Michael Jr.’s been working on “Don’t Stop Believin’” on the piano and as a diversion began flipping through the Journey songbook and playing “Any Way You Want It”. Over and Over. He even pulled out his guitar and began playing it on that! It feels like all Caddyshack, all the time. Which is actually totally fine.

Kenny just started (and almost immediately finished) the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book. He will read this book again and again. Over and Over. Just as he has each of the other Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. If he had his way, all books would be poorly illustrated with badly drawn stick figures.

Now that I think of it, there are many examples of the kids jumping into ruts with both feet. Joyfully veering neither to the left nor the right. I wonder what that’s about? Comfort in sameness?

Michael and I have this discussion every time we order Chinese food. He knows what he wants. Mongolian Beef. Beef and Broccoli. Pot Stickers. Spring Rolls (and if we’re in Richland it has to be Mandarin House). I, on the other hand, always think maybe there’s something I haven’t tried that will blow my mind. Knock my socks off. What happens is that I always end up gazing lovingly at his Mongolian Beef and getting the stink eye. He shares but at this stage in the game he always gets two orders to hedge his bets.

Tonight is Thursday, so if I’m lucky I’ll be watching new episodes of “The Office” and “Survivor”. Because it’s Thursday and that’s what I do. Over and Over. Wonder if I could talk Michael into some Mongolian Beef? Some ruts are just plain delicious.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?