Saturday, October 24, 2009

Banana Chip Muffins, Zombie Preparedness, Etc.

I can’t think straight with this music so pardon me if I don’t make any sense tonight.

Josh is sitting next to me in bed playing with my phone and has one earbud in his right ear and another in my left. He’s playing The Buggles (“Video Killed the Radio Star”) over and over. He knows it by heart but adds “boobs” in here and there. I shoot him The Look but it doesn’t do much good.

In my mind and in my car,
We can’t rewind; we’ve gone too far.

What an odd Saturday. We usually have errands to run and I imagine there were a few I could have taken care of but I decided early on that I wasn’t doing anything I didn’t feel like doing today.

I made a few batches of muffins this morning and because you are so darned special, I’m going to share one of my favorite recipes. It’s from www.allrecipes.com and it’s for banana bread but if you add chocolate chips (or even if you don’t) it makes the best muffins:

Banana Banana Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

This afternoon the six of us walked to Bomber Drive-Thru for shakes, etc. and took some fall foliage photos. There’s so little of it that’s really pretty around here; it’s like an Easter egg hunt. It was an almost startlingly beautiful day and I wasn’t in love with the idea of going home to the remains of the sleepover. We took our time, kicked the dry leaves and had a few (too many) battles with sycamore branches. Those trees cannot seem to keep hold of their branches. But anyway, it would probably have been a super-smart idea to just clean this morning instead of making delicious muffins, laying around reading the paper, and watching cartoons but what’s done was done.

We wandered home and I did a quick clean up—not so bad. I even got all the little kids bathed and ready for bed because if I’m a lucky girl they’ll be tired and hit the sack early.

As I was flipping through a catalog waiting for Kenny to finish in the tub, he asked me, through the drawn curtain, what I thought about a possible zombie invasion. Honestly, not a lot. He told me he figured what a person would need was food and shelter. He’d lock himself in a grocery store because it was food AND shelter. You could get food at the Sausage Fest but no shelter. Sausage Fest? Yes, apparently we think about that year-round. He also said he’d use Michael’s bolt action rifle to lay waste to them but upon further questioning realized he didn’t know where I hide the bullets or even how to use it if he knew. I tried to tell him that God didn’t make zombies but the boy lives next door to the cemetery so there’s no way he’s buying that. Emergency Preparedness for this kid has nothing to do with the wheat and legumes we’ve got lining the basement shelves!

Maybe I need more Saturdays like this. I don’t mean Michael-free; just errand and To Do list free. Like that’s ever going to happen . . .
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you're interested but this is a great recipe. I just read your last few blogs and since I'm making it for dinner tonight thought you might like to give it a whirl. FYI Keith isn't big on veggies but was very surprised how great this was. You could probably add some red or kidney beans too to give it a little umph, but we like it as is.

    Zucchini Stew

    1 lb. Italian Sausage (I get this in those tubes for breakfast sausage)
    1 c. chopped onion (I use a whole one)
    2 c. celery (I use the hole stalk)
    2 tbls. sugar
    1 med. Green Pepper (I usually use 2 grn, 1 yel & 1 red) at least
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 qt canned tomatoes (I use 2 cans of diced tomatoes with the juice)
    4 c. diced zucchini (I just get 3-4 of the small ones)

    Brown the sausage then add all the rest of the ingredients (except the zucchini) (you don't need water but I usually rinse the 2 cans of tomatoes and pour that water in to it for a runnier soup.) I sometimes add more later if it isn't quite what I'm looking for.

    Let that sit for however long you want (I go about 3 hours on a low heat I like it to simmer). Add the zucchini about 30 minutes before serving. Good with a loaf of garlic bread and salad, sprinkle with parmesean cheese if you like.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?