Thursday, October 1, 2009

Another Sick Day

Another sick day. Michael Jr. and Sam went to school but Sierra and Kenny didn’t. Michael took the day off work, feeling like he was catching it too. So far I’m symptom-free. Keep me in your prayers; Momma can’t afford to go down.

There is something about having my husband home that has this weird incapacitating effect on me. It’s not his fault but for some reason I’m strangely unmotivated and hopelessly distractible. I had big plans but accomplished only a bit. Also, having him here activates the guinea pig.

I always vetoed the whole guinea pig thing because the sound they make is annoying. Little did I know last weekend when my parents brought us dad’s old recliners (we’re not even a little proud) that the one Michael sits in makes a sound identical to a guinea pig when the chair rocks. Even a little. So, we’ve got the annoyance of a guinea pig but none of the fun. I guess I don’t have to feed it or clean up after it either but still.

Something I did accomplish this morning was a bit of busy work Sam’s teacher sent home. I’d offered to help out with whatever could be done here but this was the pits. Ripping out perforated pages from work books and folding them. Sounds simple but the perforation was incomplete and the ripping had to be done very carefully. Until Michael pulled out the box cutter and took care of business. We watched some Tivo-ed shows from last night (why I get nothing done when he’s home) and I came to the conclusion that I’m not nearly as quirky or fabulous as those moms on the Target commercials.

Kenny and Sierra both slept the morning away in our bed, fevers raging. The medicine finally kicked in and they were able to be up and closer to themselves by noon. Over lunch Sam began talking about a girl who sits at his table. This is dangerous territory because Kenny was sitting right there, considering how to get under his skin. He began by asking him what she looks like. “Like a snake with legs.” Oh really. Within a few minutes he had Sam convinced that this cute little girl had failed kindergarten three times and had also been in Kenny’s kindergarten class. I have no clue where the boy comes up with this stuff but I finally had to put an end to it.

I should really just declare all Sick Days housekeeping Fails. Anything accomplished would be icing on the cake. That is if you consider a houseful of sick people “cake”. I don’t so much. The icing today was getting several loads of laundry folded. And folks, I fought for every bit of it. I don’t mind the work; it’s my escape to sit in front of my Tivo line up and plow through it all. It becomes work when Josh decides we’re playing. Today the game was Dig Through the Costume Bin and Put Things on Mommy. I like this better than Let’s Shoot Mommy in the Face with the Pop Gun so I didn’t complain.

Tia showed up to return some milk so I came up to chat. After spending some time catching up and oohing and ahhing over my new pantry, she left. As I walked past the mirror in the foyer, I turned to see I was wearing tiger ears. The whole time. And not a word out of Tia! The fact that this seemed normal to her made my day;).

I’ll wind up tonight with a recipe. I decided to make Michael some sugar-free brownies this afternoon. I added some low-carb chocolate chips he bought a while back and although they’re no Rosie’s Chocolate “O”, they were at least marginally satisfying. The frosting was sort of a joke and I’m pretty sure I could come up with a better sugar-free version. Some would argue that sucralose (Splenda) is harmful. I offer no proof to the contrary but only know that it doesn’t make me nuts like regular sugar does.

Sugar Free Brownies

1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 cup granular sucralose sweetener (such as Splenda®)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1 (1.4 ounce) package sugar free, chocolate fudge flavored instant pudding
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x8 inch pan.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt margarine and cocoa together, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. In a large bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Stir in the sucrolose sweetener. Combine the flour and salt; stir into the egg mixture then mix in the cocoa and margarine. Finally stir in the 1/4 cup of milk and if desired, the walnuts. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean. To make frosting, Mix together the sugar free chocolate pudding mix and 1 cup skim milk using an electric mixer. Mix for about two minutes or until thick. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I used to get NOTHING done when David was home - then he started working from HOME...I had to learn to get over that!

    BTW - I made a great low fat and calorie meal the other day - turkey breast and sweet potato fries. Let me know if you want the recipes.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?