Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Picture Day

Dear Picture Day,

I loathe you.

Sincerely,

Me


I remember having to wear things I’d rather not, getting my hair brushed and done up with those pink spongy rollers (Mom used to refer to me as tender-headed and oh! would I howl!). I remember trying to figure out how to sleep with them on my head.

Everything had to be just so because this was It. This was the one going on the wall. The picture to represent the ENTIRE year.

Anymore it doesn’t seem to have the same gravity. Most of us have digital cameras that take great photos and all of us have access to Walgreens, Walmart, Rite-Aid, etc. for printing out specialties like wallet-sized prints. I don’t know why I make such a big deal about it now.

In my own mind it’s not a BIG deal, just a minor inconvenience (have to remember to fill out the forms, write the checks, make sure the checks make it into the envelopes, and make sure the envelopes get in the backpacks of the RIGHT child—last year I spent an hour at school trying to sort out the mess I’d made of it). To my younger boys it’s always a black, black day. I make them wear button down shirts instead of t-shirts. I know. Totally uncool. Over protests of, “This isn’t church!” I wash their faces and give them the once over. I steel myself against their whiny nonsense but a toll is taken and I still have a headache I haven’t quite kicked. I had one yesterday too though. I wonder if there’s something wrong with me. I mean aside from the OBVIOUS.

Picture Day reminds me of kindergarten. For our class picture my best friend and I decided we would both wear our red gingham dresses. They weren’t identical but the fabric was essentially the same. On the day of pictures my friend’s mom told her it was a no-go; her dress had a hole in the front. I don’t remember how she pulled it off but she wore it anyway. Her parents would never know, right? ;) Another year on individual picture day I spent the day before out on our boat with my parents. I guess we weren’t big on sun block back in the day. I woke up the next morning in agony with a massive water blister on my upper left arm but make no mistake, the show must go on and it did.

This is a photo of me in kindergarten. Cut my own bangs and everything!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I think your younger boys look like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember dreading picture day more as I got older...it never failed - a rather large zit would appear somewhere on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute kindergartener--love the pigtails!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?