Saturday, September 5, 2009

I Deserve a Merit Badge

















The kids (Michael Jr.) have been bugging us to make a trip to Palouse Falls for years. If you’re not from around here, you may not know where that is. If you’re from around here you may not know either. It’s about an hour and a half from the Tri-Cities, through wheat fields and basalt outcroppings, past towns with names like Sagemoor, Eltopia, Cactus, Sulphur, and Kahlotus. I get sad just thinking about their no-iPhone owning selves. No Service is the name of the game. I think few people east of say, Idaho, or maybe Montana would recognize this desert as Washington State. It’s like another world entirely.

Okay. We get up, do some stuff, I pack a lunch (loaf of bread, jar of peanut butter, bag of apples—I can’t be accused of complicating things), we load the van, all to a constant stream of, “Why are we going it’s going to be boring it’s not fair why do I have to go I’m not going you can’t make me this is stupid . . .”. Even from the very child who brought the stupid falls to our attention!

I was tempted to throw in the towel and go back to bed. Or at least put everyone to work. But no. We must Press On.

Once everyone was safely trapped in the moving vehicle, faces stuffed with Spudnuts (again, not from around here? You should be), the complaining ended. Briefly. Just until I was able to hook up my phone to the stereo and start playing My Music. You see, My Music makes my children crazy. It's probably not the music per se. It may be me belting it out at the top of my lungs. Because honestly, who doesn’t love Journey and Kansas and Def Leppard and well, you know, the list goes on. And don’t even try to say you don’t LOVE them. DO NOT!

Eventually I gave them a break. We started talking about Boy Scout Merit Badges. You see I’m of the opinion that there ought to be a merit badge for solving the Rubik’s Cube in a specified amount of time. I know, I know, but honestly, if you can get one for Fingerprinting, Indian Lore, and Dentistry, why not The Cube? This one small device single-handedly transformed a generation of geeks into almost interesting people. It deserves some props.

Michael Sr. thought this was silly. We’d be opening the doors to so many really Wrong badges. Here is a far from comprehensive list of what he came up with:

The Sudoku Badge
The Ye Olde Renaissance Faire Badge
The Dungeons and Dragons Badge
The Klingon Language badge
The Living with Mom till You’re 40 Badge

You get the idea. We also discussed local badges but they were mostly nothing more than excuses for competitive eating. Still, that Sausage Fest Badge is calling my name . . .

P.S. The trip was a success (no one fell off a cliff so that automatically qualifies it as Successful in my book)--so long as you don’t count the constant whining from a certain someone who slept over at a friend’s house last night and was TIRED. The falls were gorgeous. I highly recommend a trip to see them (my awesome neighbor Berta says the falls are Enormous in the spring) but I was disappointed that there didn’t seem to be a safe way to get to the bottom. Anyone out there with great out-of-the-way destinations we should check out?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. have you been to the cave...boulder cave I think...up past Naches?

    Also the Ginko Petrified forest near Vantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents are going to Palouse Falls this weekend to celebrate their anniversary. Any recommendations or tips, etc I should pass along??

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some trails off to the left of the parking area but there's no safe way we could see to walk down. It's beautiful and there's a lot of grassy area for a picnic--plus there's no where to eat for miles so why not?:) I'll send you the pictures I put up on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?