Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Dreaming

I’ve got two boys napping on the couch and you, dear internet, all to myself. What shall I unload upon you today?

On Sunday I lamented the fact that I dream, I have faith but without action the results are less than stellar. My garden gone to wrack and ruin said it all. This morning I heard this quotation and it seemed to be what I’ve said in reverse:

“Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with Vision is making a positive difference.” -Joel Barker

Joel Barker was the first person to popularize the idea of paradigm shifts in the business world, but we all know what a paradigmatic shift is. It’s seeing through glasses that are actually your prescription. It’s turning the map right-side up. It’s those moments when the light bulb in your mind flips on. It’s seeing things from a totally new perspective.

So this guy’s second sentence struck me. I was frustrated in my earlier blog that I hadn’t done much, just hoped and dreamed. And like he says here, “Vision without action is a dream.” But what of this action without vision? I can totally relate to the feeling of “simply passing the time”. Often (OFTEN) I feel like I’m running up the down escalator; going Nowhere fast.

Pretty much none of us are truly action-free. We’re doing stuff all day long. But how often at the end of the day do I sit down, tired as can be, and think, “What was that about?” (hint: DAILY). Did I do anything that mattered? Anything that got me closer to my God, my Savior, my family, my dreams, my goals, or even my ideal weight? Way too often the answer is a big fat Not Even Close. Some days I’m pretty sure I’ve moved full-steam ahead in the opposite direction.

But I’m in the house, you know? I’m doing mundane, brain-numbing, Didn’t-I-Just-Do-That-5-Minutes-Ago stuff ALL DAY LONG. I wish I’d asked for more details from the person who read this quotation because she went on to talk about how those things we do as moms that feel meaningless can be imbued with meaning if we’ve got a vision. Each every-day task is an act of service we offer to our family and done in the right spirit it will get us closer to where we want to be.

So maybe I was a little harsh on the cerebral end of things. The Dreaming. The dream, or vision as this guy put it, is clearly just as important as the Effort.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?