Saturday, August 8, 2009

Woo Hoo!!!

This is what’s on my mind so pardon me, cyber-bff’s; here I go:

Oh. My. Gosh. He did it, he did it, HE DID IT!!! Josh finally expressed to me that he needed to use the toilet BEFORE he actually relieved himself! He actually sat on the little plastic thing and ACHIEVED! On both counts! I couldn’t be happier*.

This is my fifth and (blessedly) last child; you’d think I would take this sort of thing in stride but no. Nooooo. Each boy** has been a potty-training struggle in one way or another but this little guy has been the toughest by far. At no point up to now has he shown any willingness whatsoever to quit the diapers. Actually that’s not quite it. He would gladly go naked. He just wouldn’t come near a toilet. He’d relieve himself whenever and wherever he felt the need and would keep right on going. I had no idea how to work with that so I just put him back in diapers. I still can’t believe he actually did it.

I have a lot of sensible friends who told me it was no big deal, he’s a boy, chill out. He’ll do it when he’s ready. You don’t want to give him a complex, right? It’s not like he’s going to graduate with them on! But I’ve got that voice in my head and it says, “You should’ve used cloth diapers,” and “He should’ve been out of diapers a year ago,” and “Ask Berta for that Peach and Cherry Pie recipe”. I am my own worst enemy it seems.

I’m not naïve enough to think he’s trained now; I’ve been through this four times already. But WOW! He made that connection and I’m DONE buying diapers!

*Which is, admittedly, sort of unfortunate.

**Notice I wrote “boy”. Sierra ended the diapers at 22 months with no input from us whatsoever. She just started taking off her diapers, using the toilet, and sneaking her brother’s underwear.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?