Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Paper

If someone were to ask me, “What does your mom always do?” there would be a very long list of selfless, For-the-Good of-the-Family type stuff that would immediately come to mind. But honestly, what won’t I forget? That she falls asleep reading the paper EVERY night. Not for the night and not for long, but she starts reading and her head starts nodding and . . . Pass Out. She was always the paper reader in the family. She remembers her father reading The Paper every day.

This is what I remember about The Paper: We grew up with the Daily Olympian. At some point in its venerable career, the newspaper began printing a Saturday edition. Bumper stickers were handed out that read, “Wake Up with a Friend Saturday” with the Daily Zero logo. Soon after, we saw one edited with a Sharpie to read, “Wake Up with a Frie d turd". Tom and I thought that was sooo funny.

So anyway, the paper. It must’ve rubbed off because I too am The Paper reader here. At least I was. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t get The Paper and read it, for better or for worse. That is until lately. Somehow, in the last several months, I just haven’t been getting to it. I think I’ll take a little break and sit down with it but I don’t. I used to actually enjoy it. It was something I’d set time aside for because I wanted to. I’m getting older; isn’t this something I should be getting more into instead of less?

“The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom.” -H. L. Mencken

Where my eyes once scanned The Paper for news of the outside world (Grown Up Stuff), they now scan Facebook and blogs for news of the inside world (not so Grown Up Stuff usually). No wonder newspapers are going out of business (aside from the fact that the whole concept is hopelessly outdated). Who has time to stop and read all that? I mean with Mafia Wars, Vampire Wars, and food fights to wage, fake pets to attend to, entire artificial farms to manage, important quizzes to take, and sparkly games to play, we’re up to our eyeballs with Too Busy. I’ve actually avoided most of those things but even just keeping up with everyone can take as much time as you let it.

So, do I keep getting the paper? Do I make myself read it? Maybe I will. I think today’s is still sitting outside.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?