Sunday, August 2, 2009

Nothing to Write About

I couldn’t think of anything to write about tonight. Nothing but how much I hate Pokémon and wish I’d raised my kids in the wilderness without cable to keep them free of that stain. Or how I feel like I’ve been punched in the mind every time my boys (Kenny and Sam) start up a conversation about it (at least once every fifteen minutes). I smile and nod and pretend to know/care anything about it. Bad mom! And bad multinational corporation for sucking my kids in. I can’t sit down to my laptop without being asked by my soon-to-be kindergartener to print out yet more coloring pages. How many of these !@#$% things are there? Don’t answer. I’m sure it’s so, so many.

But anyway. What do you make of this photo? I took it at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma a few weeks ago. I wondered what would possess someone to get those particular tattoos. I guess I could have asked but he looked like someone who might punch me in the face. Does he sooo love Washington? I do but that’s taking it in a kind of weird direction. Did he love Olympia Beer so much he wanted to pay permanent homage to it? Is it a nod to Dustin Hoffman in “The Graduate”? Okay, that’s a stretch. It says right there “It’s the Water”. I don’t know why but even years after the brewery closed its doors, that line is stuck in my head. Michael and I had some of our engagement photos taken at Tumwater Falls with that particular Deschutes River water rushing by. And more random connections. I remember driving by the brewery as a kid and seeing someone mowing a very steep lawn (which is now just ivy I think) by lowering a lawn mower down by a rope. Also, my boyfriend in high school worked there in the summers and I rode my bike there to visit him.

And then there’s the 27. What’s that? I think there’s a band with that name. Dave Matthews and Fall Out Boy (and plenty of others) have songs with that as a title. Is cobalt important to him? Oh! Maybe he’s a born-again Christian! There are 27 books in the New Testament. Or maybe a Weird Al fan. He hides that number in his songs and videos. Did he love the movie “27 Dresses”? Probably not. But another random connection: When I first moved to New Canaan CT in 1992 I went to church with Katherine Heigl. She was just a young kid, soon to be in “My Father, My Hero” with Gérard Depardieu. I remember going to her house for young single adult activities. Like I said, I have nothing to talk about tonight. And why do I say (write) “talk” when I’m clearly writing? Because I’m talking to you. In my mind (that thing I keep getting punched in). Like a crazy person.

I don’t know why I’m assuming this guy put an inordinate amount of time and thought into choosing these tattoos. Here’s a quotation from the webpage I mentioned on July 12:

“1.Tattoos theoretically could be thoughtful additions to your appearance. Unfortunately there are thousands of tattoo parlors (many open 24 hours) and people just don't have that many thoughts. So most are stupid.
2.Tattoos are permanent. Your motivation/blood-alcohol level is not.”

I’ll end it there but not without a shout-out to Michael for bringing home enough pizzas last night to cover lunch and dinner today. I’ve had my feet up in front of the portable a/c unit for hours and I don’t see that changing soon.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. You know Katherine Heigl too? Is she "Mormon?" My friend, Summer Lesueur went to a fine arts high School with her in CA and watches her TV show (I can't remember the name of it) faithfully. By these degrees of seperation I know her too! :) Small World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last comment was from me but I don't know how what profile to select when posting it.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous! She's not practicing but I read that something saying she thinks she may in the future. Who knows. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?