Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I ♥ My Visiting Teachers

Today is going by way, way too fast. I still have to pack for another trip to Yelm tomorrow, feed everyone, and get us out the door to Michael Jr.’s Boy Scout Court of Honor tonight. Not that I’m complaining or anything. Actually I am, just not about those things. Kenny is laying on the loveseat whining: Sierra is the one making him some macaroni and cheese, not me. Surely she’ll poison him. I think he and his little friend stayed up way too late last night and we, lucky us, are paying for that indiscretion.

This morning one of my Visiting Teachers stopped by. For those of you not in the know, if you’re LDS and a woman (and not a confirmed recluse), you’ve got Visiting Teachers. More likely than not you are one too. The Visiting Teaching program is so cool. If you participate, you’re assigned a partner and usually about three ladies to visit and share a gospel message with (yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition). The partnerships change occasionally as well as the ladies we visit but it’s pretty much always the same. An opportunity to get to know and care about people with whom you might not otherwise interact. And let me tell you, I have some awesome Visiting Teachers. Hope Houck is the Energizer Bunny incarnate; always right there to do whatever needs doing. Always with a smile and lots of ideas, she’s a great friend to have around. Andi Stevens is her companion and she’s one of the best teachers I’ve ever met. She knows how to get to the heart of the matter, how to distill from much what is key to the individual. She’s an amazing guide with an mind-blowing capacity to love.

Hope was feeling under the weather today and Andi came by herself. We began catching up with no children in sight. They were happily doing something downstairs so we could actually hear ourselves speak. Suddenly Josh came running at us, buck naked, dangly bits flying. I guess not technically naked; he was wearing aqua socks. Even better was when he came tearing into the room with a can of Reddi-Whip, spraying it into his mouth. He has a very keen sense of what he can get away with only when we have guests. Look how cute! Ack.

This afternoon I took Sierra shopping so she could use some birthday money and gift cards. Happily, she used it all on school clothes. I was also looking for buckets and shovels for the beach and found none. If I was looking for Halloween paraphernalia I’d have been in luck. I did find The Coolest Gumball Ever (with sour thingys inside even!) so it wasn’t a total loss.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?