Tuesday, August 11, 2009

BTS Already

For a very long time I had a cartoon ripped from the paper and stuck to my fridge. Entitled “The Longest Month”, it was the month of August and instead of 31 days it had a hundred or so. A mother stood at the bottom, spirals for eyes, with kids bickering, standardized curse symbols flying. I am that mom.

Have you seen that commercial? The one where the dad is pushing the cart through the office supply store, singing, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year!” in his best caroling voice? I am that dad. Sort of. As usual, I’ve got mixed emotions.

I always look forward to summer and all the fun things my kids and I can do. The beach! Yelm, and Yelm again! And maybe even again! The zoo! The river! Camping! Northwest Trek! Mount Rainier! I’m breaking a sweat just thinking about it.

But hold it right there. There seems to be so much more to do when all the kids are here. The daily chores seem more onerous (probably because I’m trying to get these stubborn goats to help) and I guess I expect myself to accomplish more because my day isn’t chopped up with trips to and from school and activities. I’ve got these kids here all day and in their mind I am Julie McCoy, Anwar Sadat, Rachel Ray, and the Merry Maids lady all rolled into one. The bar is high. I’m sure, somehow or another I created these misconceptions but you know, it is what it is. I’m looking forward to things slowing down.

That’s where I’m kidding myself though. Sure, there will be less people around during the day but after school is busy, busy, busy. There’s always something (and usually many somethings) going on most nights of the week when you’ve got lots of kids. When they were very little I swore we’d not be those people who had soccer practice, scouts, lessons, etc. during the dinner hour but guess what? Yeah, I know.

Instead of whining about how the summer’s going I need to start savoring it. I wish I had the Super Nanny or someone else with an accent to come crack the whip; we could get more done early on with more time to play. Why do my kids listen and obey so much more when NOT THEIR PARENTS are talking? Don’t answer that.

You know I’ll miss them when school starts again. But I’ve tried the homeschooling thing and I wasn’t cut out for it. It was like summer with more books and back talk.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?