Monday, July 27, 2009

Priorities

There just aren’t enough hours in the day. We’ve all said it, thought it, lamented it. For me it always just felt like a vague truism. Until now.

I made a list the other day. It was a list of the important things. I figured that if I could check them off the list each day, I could consider the day a success. Even if everything else sort of went south. In other words, Priorities, with a capital “P”.

Michael and I have talked a lot about priorities lately. If we have time for Facebook, television, goofing off in general, we have time for scripture reading, prayer, exercise, family time, etc. Those other things can suck up any amount of time but they’re mental junk food. We crave the stuff but get nothing for our time investment. Sometimes it’s worse than nothing. So we need to fit in more of those things that have a positive cumulative effect on our lives.

Why is that so hard for me?

It means a schedule. I know that’s the best way to fit it all in but man, not my favorite thing. We sat down with paper and pencil and put in the scripture study, the prayer, the exercise, the family time, the bedtime routine, consistently cooking healthy meals, actually sitting down to eat those healthy meals, everything we could think of that really felt important. But wait. There’s also laundry (getting it done, folding it, putting it away), cleaning, lawn work, grocery shopping, writing my blog . . . Uh oh. Where do I fit all that? I’ve had people ask me where I find time for the different things I do. I guess I’ve been robbing Peter to pay Paul.

On the one hand, I’m sort of excited to have a shared goal to work on with Michael. On the other hand, well, I’m not so sure. I guess change is most notable for being uncomfortable.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?