Thursday, July 23, 2009

Paper Route

Kenny’s pool/slumber party is dying down and I’m hiding out in the basement watching the 100th episode of “So You Think You Can Dance”, writing my 100th blog. Neither seems to be inspiring me, topic-wise.

I asked Michael what he’d write about:

“Michael went to work and then he came home.” Okay, no help there.

Today is the third day of paper route subbing and boy am I regretting it. We’ll muddle through but it isn’t what I thought it would be. You see, we used have a paper route.

It was something I saw my kids doing to make some money on their own but figured they’d be teenagers. When the paper route that included our block and a few others became available, I grabbed it despite the fact that the kids were too young to take care of it on their own. Of course it was a perpetual nightmare to have to get up each morning, no matter what, and fold and deliver (and for the record, I’m sure Michael did it way more than I did) but that was the easy part. There was a whole host of other lame stuff we just didn’t figure in when we signed on. Like people who don’t want to pay. Or people who don’t take into consideration the time their sprinklers go off. People who don’t think about tipping (some of the nicest people never did tip us and trust me, tips are the only thing that make this job even remotely profitable) and people who don’t alert the paper when they’re going to be out of town. Collecting the money and even dealing with cashing the checks made the whole thing decidedly not worthwhile.

But again, Sierra was looking for a way to make a few bucks so I agreed we’d help out. I thought I knew what we were getting ourselves into because my friend said we’d be delivering to a few apartment complexes. That sounded pretty straight forward. It’s actually five complexes and only 28 papers and a few more on the weekends. The first two places are poorly lit and the layout is confusing but by tomorrow we should have it down. It kind of makes me wonder what the newspaper readership in these places has been over the years. Is this a drastic reduction? I know a lot of people who don’t get the paper anymore. I still do but don’t read it as thoroughly or as consistently as I used to.

I guess not many jobs are just what you think they’ll be or pay what it feels like they should. Mine pays pretty well (in hugs and kisses) but it’s nothing like I thought it would be. Most days it bears almost no resemblance whatsoever.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?