Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Information

No, I do not want to write an article about it Wikipedia. Google’s got nothing for me which leads me to think it might be a joke. But even hoaxes and jokes can be Googled. So what the heck is timber crawling?

“Timber Crawling is Not a Crime”

I saw this on a bumper sticker yesterday. Is that just climbing trees? Is it forgoing razors and your fellow men, living in those giant red woods? I really want to know! Now!

I can’t remember the last time my idle curiosity couldn’t be satisfied with a little tap-tap-tap on that little Google box. I guess it’s made me (and everyone else) at once demanding and lazy. I want to know immediately and I want to put almost no effort whatsoever into it. What in the world did people do before Google?

That shouldn’t be so hard to answer. I’m one of those people who can remember life before Google. An awful lot of life. It’s only been around since maybe 1999 (I guess I could Google that detail) but it feels like forever.

In 1999 I was 29 for most of the year and had two small children. I used the computer for e-mail and word processing pretty much exclusively. We were just dipping our toes in the digital pool, barely getting started sharing photos this way. We used the computer a fair amount and we had since starting graduate school in 1994 but it wasn’t our main source of information. It sure as heck is now.

I often thought that the generation gap between my grandparents and their grandchildren was colossal. It really was. My generation saw the beginning of VCRs and video games, cable TV. and computers--the future was so bright we had to wear shades, right? But somehow our kids, my kids at least, are blowing me out of the water. They have technology in their blood. They don’t have to stop, translate manual-speak into English, and proceed with caution. They don’t have one foot in the old world like we do.

Which I guess is too bad.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I googled "timber crawling" and guess what was the 4th website listed?? YOURS!! Is that crazy or what?! I still don't know what timber crawling is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should have looked up "timber crawlers" . . .

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?