Thursday, July 2, 2009

Expensive

“When can I see “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs”??? Can we see “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs” today??? Then can we buy “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs” on D-Vuh-D?? Puleez??”

This has been Sam’s daily request for a few weeks now. At first it was easy to just tell him it wasn’t in theaters yet but his older siblings have clued him in and he knows he’s just plain missing out at the moment. Okay, Saturday. It’ll be blazing hot and a cool theater will be a nice escape for a few hours. Nice and expensive. For our family to go to a movie, not including popcorn, soda, and maybe some candy, it costs close to $50. Maybe a little less for a matinee. It’s sort of a burden to have “Ice Age 3”, “Transformers 2” and “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” in theaters so close together; I can’t imagine not seeing them on the big screen. It’s probably also hard for the kids to understand how much money that amounts to.

And that goes for all sorts of things. This morning Sierra noticed the Equate (Wal-Mart brand) Pantene-knock off shampoo and conditioner I bought her last night and insisted she wouldn’t use it. She wanted Dove, she asked for Dove, and she’s only using Dove. Excuse me? Totally unacceptable. She’s never tried that on me before and I think she was a little surprised at the buttons that pushed. While we were staying at my parent’s house she used some Dove shampoo and conditioner that I’d left there months ago. For whatever reason, she found that it worked really well on her thick, easily knotted hair. I get that, I really do. I have the same hair and I’ve been fighting it for a lot longer. Still, if you’re not ponying up the cash, you don’t get to make demands. When she saw that I was serious she used it anyway and it worked fine. Surprise, surprise.

August is coming and that’s a big, expensive month around here. The oldest two have their birthdays, we have our (15th) anniversary, and of course there are school clothes and school supplies. I’ve never been big on buying new clothes just because a school year is starting but I wouldn’t be surprised to find several kids need new shoes by then. A wise woman would probably budget for this throughout the year.

We have another special day coming up but it isn’t likely to break the bank. Kenny’s getting baptized on July 26th. Come to think of it, that’s the same day I was baptized 17 years ago. A moment ago he came in to talk to me about it. He knows it’s baptism by immersion and with a grin he told me he may or may not survive. I agreed that those were in fact the two alternatives but the not surviving option was a little unlikely. Being his usual silly self he said, “But I don’t want to be fully aquatic. They’d have to re-engineer my head!” It’s funny now but I hope he can be serious when his dad is actually baptizing him!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. As I reread this I laughed because it sounds as if I think Dove is expensive, fancy shampoo. It's not of course, just more than the generic:).

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?