Friday, July 24, 2009

BeingGirl

“I need to get that contract for everything!”

That Sierra. We were at HAPO this morning opening an account for Michael and I and Kenny had some birthday money to deposit as well. The kids all have accounts there because it’s within walking distance and we decided to open a local account there as well. When the woman behind the desk asked if we’d like debit cards attached to the account, Sierra whispered in my ear, “Can I have one? Can I?” Hmmm.

I thought about it for a moment and decided it was probably not a terrible idea. She’s always been good about putting money in savings and I could show her how to use a check register to keep track of things. That’s pretty old school but she wouldn’t need more than that. I sent her over to another woman behind a desk and she set her right up. But not before asking me to sign a contract agreeing to be responsible for any law breaking she might do associated with the card. She explained to Sierra that they can’t legally prosecute minors. Sierra thought that was hilarious! I don’t think she understands that minors don’t usually face the full force of the law and I think that small bit of ignorance is great.

Sierra is still getting up for the paper route without complaining; she’s pretty committed to earning more money. I think she doesn’t have to be too much older to take the babysitting course at Kadlec. With the vast experience she’s amassing entertaining her brothers, I think she’ll be awfully good at it.

Sierra has been a big help this summer with the younger boys. She keeps them entertained while I do the things that need to be done. She plays games with them on educational websites and finds coloring pages for the younger two. A few days ago I was caught off guard when I walked over to see what they were playing. I couldn’t believe my eyes. They were on a website called “BeingGirl” sponsored by Tampax/Always, playing a roller coaster game. What stopped me cold was the maxi pad roller coaster. Seriously. The object of the game was to make the coaster jump over obstacles such as bloating, cramps, and irritability. I just shook my head and walked away. I guess I won’t have to explain certain facts of life when the time comes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?