Friday, June 26, 2009

Small World

I’ve known Maria Girard (now Williams) forever. Our parents have been friends since the early 70’s and her grandparents sort of adopted our family as our large extended family was back east. I remember when she was born; I was so happy to finally have another girl around at holidays and family get-togethers.

I knew Maria was flying in from Ohio with the kids to visit her family for a month or so; I even made a point of writing on her Facebook wall about meeting up. Unfortunately the week flew by and, well, I just didn’t call. Totally forgot. Mom left her cell phone number on the counter for me this morning but I just stuffed it in my purse. I knew I didn’t have any time left this trip.

Michael flew in this morning and the kids and I picked him up at Sea-Tac. After three, yes three, attempts to reach the terminal. I couldn’t believe I was having such a time of it. I felt like a cranky old man by the time I finally got to him. Not a nice way to greet a husband you haven’t seen for a few days but he overlooked it and made me forget. He’s pretty good at that.

From there we drove to Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium because it was a really beautiful day and our membership would expire at the end of the month. We weren’t there ten minutes when I heard someone behind me calling out, “Tiffany!” . . . it was Maria! She just happened to be there visiting with a friend and we were able to spend some time catching up. It felt a little like meeting Diane at the beach; I don’t’ know, cosmic Facebook?

The next stop was Rocky Shores because the kids wanted to see what would replace the belugas. Upon discovering that it was only harbor seals they went below to check out E.T. and the other walruses. They love to recount the story of how the harbor seals had to be removed from E.T.’s tank because he’s an indiscriminant breeder. These kids of mine.

Josh pulled me over to look at the harbor seals and I heard my name again. This time it was Tod Morrish and his wife Jessica! I hadn’t seen them since the reunion last summer. It may be a cliché but it’s a small, small world. At the very least, a small zoo.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this was the first time I met Maria. I had met Tod at the reunion. I was looking around, maybe there was someone there from Sanger, but it wasn't meant to be. That would have been an even smaller world.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?