Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lesson

When I woke this morning I vowed to get out of the house by 9 a.m. It just needed to happen.

There were a few options open to us but at the top of the list were the free movie at the mall and the wading pool at Howard Amon Park. The movie meant a crowd, lines, and a theater full of children with exasperated mothers. The pool offered fresh air and at 9 a.m. it would be almost, if not completely, deserted. Decision made.

As anticipated, we had the pool to ourselves for awhile and when the crowd grew large we walked down the embankment to the river. And the goose poop. And rogue dogs. But it was good. Until it wasn’t (someone misplaced someone else’s quartz pebble and all hell broke loose) and home we went. I should probably make it a rule to always get out for an hour or two before it really heats up. I’m a huge fan of fresh air (I know that sounds stupid) and we don’t get enough of it around here this time of the year.

I’m at the pool right now, watching the kids’ swimming lessons as Josh watches “The Mr. Men Show” on my phone. The poor thing does not understand why he can’t be in the water too so I’m really thankful for this diversion. It should give me a few minutes to consider what to blog about.

I could blog about my blog . . .

I started this blog after I put together a book on the Blurb website. One of the many book options they offer was a blog book. I looked it over and realized quickly it was an answer to my journaling dilemma.

In church we’re often told we ought to keep a written record , a journal. The next generation and beyond can know us and we can share our faith and experiences with them. This is all well and good but I’ve never been able to write more than maybe a handful of days at a time before I forget about it and then feel guilty. Additionally, keeping the content fit for a future generation to read has been a challenge I never quite met. I tend to write the kind of journal entries one considers taking to the grave. "Dear Diary . . . "

I tried something a little like a private blog last year. I attempted to write daily in a word document and I added photos to illustrate. I stuck with this longer than anything else I’d tried but I couldn’t find an easy, inexpensive method of converting it into a book, and again, the content wasn’t necessarily fit for all or even most. The experience was useful because it reminded me of my love of writing. It was something I’d let fall by the wayside somewhere along the line.

I really enjoy writing but it was something I’d only remember maybe once a year when I would put together the Christmas letter. I loved writing it because I felt like I was talking to a friend. Lots of friends. Writing a blog has served the same purpose for me. The fact that ANYONE can read it keeps what I write fit for the future and the fact that Michael supports me by telling me to go write when I put it off ensures that I write each day. He deserves a ton of credit for that.

So I’ve gone from not writing to writing every day and it feels really good. It’s made me question a few things and wonder why I never pursued it. Looking back (I’m picturing a flashback, Scooby Doo-style, like when they recount the clues that led up to the capture of the latest villain . . . ) I don’t remember writing much until college. First semester, freshman year I had an English class taught by a professor visiting from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I loved this class. The writing came naturally and I loved the group feedback. When the semester ended I received an “A” and the professor asked if I would consider taking his 300-level creative writing course the following semester. Why not? I was the only underclassman and I earned another “A”. After this I thought I knew where I wanted to focus my studies . . . until the next year when I took another English class. I hated it. And the professor wasn’t too impressed with me either. And that was that. I majored in Anthropology.

I guess this is a cautionary tale. As my dad would say, “Let this be a lesson”.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

So, what do you think?