Monday, June 8, 2009

The Basement

As far as the basement goes, these kids have seen things through to complete catastrophe. I finally had all I could take. Legos impaled my feet as I fumbled toward the laundry room, basket overflowing. I stopped and looked around. There was barely a square foot of uncluttered carpet. An overturned box of anachronisms (Grandpa’s name for the boys’ collection of Papo knights, dragons, and other mythical creatures) lay midst a sea of K’nex, action figures, puppets, Happy Meal toys, costumes, and musical instruments. All instruments of torture under my always bare feet.

Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

There are two issues here:
1) Why haven’t I taught the youngest two how to pick up after themselves and
2) WHY DO WE HAVE SO MUCH STUFF?????

Right now I’m sort of fixated on the stuff.

Sometimes I feel like the larger part of what I do, day in and day out, is deal with, sort through, pitch, and put away stuff. Room dandruff. Some of it can be tossed but so much of it is just things in the wrong place. And of course with this much stuff, there just isn’t always a good place for everything.

When we bought this house I fell in love with the huge kitchen. It has a bar area long enough to seat all five kids and I envisioned breakfast each morning with them lined up (and me showered, coifed, and serving up pancakes—I’m living on Fantasy Island, aren’t I?). Instead it’s suffered the fate of all flat surfaces in our home. I clear it off every few days but it’s immediately taken over by other things in no time. I guess I’m the only one in the family like this but disorder and generalized mayhem affect my mental state.

It’s enough to make a girl want to take a vow of poverty and head out to the nearest hermitage.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I so feel your pain! I always say, I am a organized girl, living in a disorganized family! I keep working at it though - it must be working, because I was asked to teach a class on organization in 2 weeks...hopefully it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long have you been in the house? Pat & I have found late living in the same location for 9 years is really bad for clutter. Moving every three years, you could only keep so much junk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... you wanna trade houses? That would probably fix your over-abundance-of-stuff. :) See! I'm so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?