Saturday, May 9, 2009

This Mother's Day

“To stay in character is one of the toughest professional challenges of my career.” I heard someone say this on t.v. the other night and I laughed out loud—I felt like I could have said it myself. My profession is motherhood and there have been plenty of times when I’ve fallen short and reacted like a civilian to the craziness of everyday life with kids. Times when I have to remind myself that one of the goals is to get them up and out without a mandatory lifetime therapy sentence.

Today I mowed the yard and continued with the weeding. I was happy to get out of the house and away from bickering kids for awhile. As I worked I pondered Mother’s Day (specifically the question of why I always wait until the last minute to get something for the mothers in my life). I also considered some of the things I’ve learned being a mom:

1) There is no such thing as fun for the whole family.

2) I always thought it would be fun to be part of a large family. Being the mom of a large family is way different than being a member of a large family!

3) My 12 year old son is considered an adult by the movie theater but a child by the movie industry (though give him a year and they’re more than happy to corrupt him. Dad always said “PG” stands for “Profanity Guaranteed”!).

4) We easily gloss over the stress of sleepless nights, spit-up covered clothes, and mountains of diapers as our kids move to more challenging stages. What’s that old saying? Bad is called good when worse happens.

5) Kids, mine at least, are selectively hard of hearing. They easily miss a request for help and never miss it when I slip up and swear. And they always assume the absurd. Just the other day I was accused of saying the good silverware was in the “cyborg”. SIDEBOARD

On a different day I’d have made a much more pleasant list. I do love being a mom. It was just one of those days. I was short tempered and probably need to apologize. Better get to that before they take back those sweet Mother’s Day gifts . . .
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?