Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday Night

Today was gorgeous! The perfect weather and temperature for getting projects done in the backyard. At one point I lost my mind and decided to put on a bathing suit top instead of a shirt so I could avoid tan lines on my arms. Who was I kidding? I don’t tan and I had no idea where last year’s sunscreen was. So now I’m just hurting. Probably nothing compared to how I’ll be feeling sitting in church tomorrow.

I was able to type up two more months of my grandma’s journal last night. Something I’ve noticed is that although they worked extremely hard, they also had pretty rich social lives. Even the work was social. There was just so much work there wasn’t any other way. Together they washed their clothes, milked their cows, raised their crops, preserved their produce, killed their livestock, filled their silos, and raised their roofs. But even beyond the work aspect, I see they were often visiting family and friends, as well as going to club meetings, dances, parties, and other social events.

I wonder about the isolation of the modern world. The work load, for most of us, is light in comparison with these folks but we end up forfeiting the benefit of relationships forged by serving one another on a daily basis. It’s a lot to give up.

So it’s Saturday night and I’m thinking I should be at a barn dance or church social. Wouldn’t that be fun? Not real sure. But I do think I need more of a social life with grown folk. I go out with my girlfriends every now and then; in fact I missed a message from Dana and Sinar last night. Dana called asking me to meet up with them for drinks and a trip to Wal-Mart. I laughed—only Dana and Sinar could come up with that combination and although I haven’t checked Facebook, I’m certain there was at least one camera involved. They can find a Kodak Moment anywhere! Still though, I’d like to do more things that involve Michael. And that’s where it gets complicated.

I imagine every married couple has to maneuver their way through this kind of thing. Maybe one person enjoys going out and the other doesn’t. Or they both do but haven’t found many couples they’re both compatible with. Or whose children they don’t want to strangle. Or maybe they have so many kids it feels impossible . . . It’s easier not to bother but I admit holding out hope that eventually we’ll get out and do more. Just not right now . . . Oh man where is the aloe vera?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?