Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Procrastinator

I walked into a bit of a mess in the laundry room yesterday. I’d made the mistake of leaving a Costco-sized bottle of Clorox 2 on the washing machine and it seems that in all the excitement of the spin cycle, it lost its footing. The plastic cap cracked and a pool of blue ick covered the floor. It was such a pleasant day and it was Josh’s birthday. I told myself I had a duty, in fact an obligation, to do an abrupt about-face and pretend it didn’t happen. I just didn’t feel like dealing with it.

So this morning it was still there. I stood and thought about it for a few minutes and finally decided to use an old binder to scrape it up and paper towels to collect it for the trash bin. It was just so gross. Waiting to clean it up was a stupid idea. A lot of the water content had evaporated and what was left was even thicker than the original. And it took the paint right off the cement floor.

I think I probably spent more time yesterday thinking about what was waiting for me downstairs than it actually took me to clean it up. That’s often the way it is. I have no idea who Olin Miller is but apparently he said, “If you want to make an easy job seem mighty hard, just keep putting off doing it.” I think everyone can relate to that.

My parents are coming on Friday to go to the boys’ piano recital, celebrate the May birthdays, and to stay the night on their way to my cousin’s graduation from Gonzaga Prep. On a normal visit they would arrive with the truck (and possibly the trailer) loaded to the gills with anything and everything related to the yard and garden and even coolers full of the meals they plan. They are incredible. This trip is different though. It’s very short; no time for projects. Which is actually a good thing. I’d like to just enjoy them without the frenzy of the to-do list. So I’m busy, busy, busy trying to make sure things look pretty done around here. All the little projects that have fallen victim to my procrastination. But hey, I can only do so much; I‘m only just one girl. What’s that old saying? Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?