Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Grandma Huck

I never knew my grandparents well. On both sides really, because from an early age we lived thousands of miles apart. My parents were both born and raised in rural southern Ohio as were their parents and grandparents but a stint in the Army brought my dad to Fort Lewis and he and my mom fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. We took trips back to Ohio but we were visitors and not a part of the regular flow of life there.

On my mom’s side I am one of almost 50 grandchildren so it was pretty easy to get a little overwhelmed on these trips. Hard to remember who was who and sometimes even who belonged to which aunts and uncles. As I grew older I began to make the connections but I still feel like I missed out on something pretty special. The Pacific Northwest is in my blood and I can’t imagine not growing up in that gorgeous, humidity-free, snow-capped mountain corner of the world but there’s a part of me that feels Ohio is home.

Yesterday I received a package in the mail. I’d been looking forward to this for a week or so after hearing from my mom’s oldest sister, my Aunt Marian. In the early 90’s her son Dennis spoke to our grandma about writing down her memories for the next generation and she actually did it. Dennis typed it up and we all received copies of this memoir. To our family it is priceless beyond words. So much has changed from her generation to mine that her memories of her life as well as what she could tell us of her parents’ and grandparents’ lives offer a perspective we’d otherwise never have. In this book of memories Grandma mentioned keeping journals throughout her life but up till now no one had come across any. Uncle Jerry still lives on the farm and recently he came across two of them.

So now I’m spending all the time I can pouring over these books to create a book for our family. The more I read the more I love this woman. She knew what it was all about. That being a righteous woman meant being free of self-righteousness. That prayer, love, and hard work was the answer. God was definitely her steering wheel, not her spare tire.

I didn’t know this amazing women very well but my kids didn’t know her at all. I’m really looking forward to introducing them through her words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?