Thursday, May 14, 2009

Clean

I have a bad habit of letting things go, domestically speaking, until I can no longer turn a blind eye. The result is me being a crazy person, spending my weekday mornings putting out fires. Yesterday it was the kitchen. To my embarrassment, I’d never taken the screens off the windows by the sink and really scrubbed them. I mean ever, in the four years we’ve lived here. I told Michael I was going to do it and he laughed. “You know the sun’s going to blind you in the morning.” He was right. I guess that build up I scrubbed off was serving a purpose. On the plus side, I now have an excellent view of the cemetery.

Today I spent the morning ripping the living room apart and scrubbing everything. I hate that job and like all jobs around here, I wait until things can’t be ignored. I don’t mean clutter, but dust and ick from life with 5 kids. Josh found so much Easter candy under the couch he wasn’t hungry for lunch. Mother of the Year.

Come to think of it, I don’t hate the cleaning at all. I can really get into a zone and I love to see what I can accomplish. It’s the constant interruptions that make me feel like my brain might implode. “Mom! Momma! Mom!!!” That’s not my name. That’s not my name. That’s not my name . . . Okay, it is, but sometimes I just get burned out hearing it. Plus I have that song stuck in my head.

Today the shouts of “Mom!!!” were mostly coming from Sam. First he had a long list of dinosaurs and he needed to know which were “bad” and which were “good”. He wanted to know why I didn’t name Josh “Poopy”. He wanted to know why Josh was sword fighting with the crawdad. What? Yeah, Josh gave the crawdad a chopstick and it was holding it, looking ready to joust. It’s hard to get much done around here with that kind of entertainment around every corner. It reminded me of the last entry I read in my grandma’s journal:
Friday June 30, 1961
Men took in hay over at Joe’s. Rest of us worked but got nothing special done.

I’ve made it through the first 6 months of my grandmother’s journal and there’s definitely a theme. WORK. What’s especially interesting to me is the order. Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday, Mend on Wednesday, etc. I couldn’t stick to that sort of schedule (my family would be naked by week’s end) but the idea of sticking to a cleaning schedule sounds like a good way to keep on top of things. It sounds like one Steven Covey’s 10 habits is hiding in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?