Saturday, May 2, 2009

Atlas Shrugged

This morning Sierra and I walked next door to the Odd Fellows hall to check out their rummage sale. Generally speaking, it’s usually a bust but since it’s only a few feet away we look it over. We wandered through, finally deciding on an apron so we wouldn’t leave empty handed. Then something caught my eye. Could it be? No Way! Way. A first edition Atlas Shrugged. $1.

This is an incredible book. The Library of Congress once did a survey asking about books that have changed readers' lives. Atlas Shrugged was only second behind the Bible. And in these times, it’s relevant. Frighteningly relevant.

Our bailouts and accompanying regulations are straight out of Atlas Shrugged. Are you incompetent? Incapable of making demanding and critical business decisions? Step right up! We’ll rescue you. We have politicians responding to crises of their own creation with bigger and uglier programs and regulations which in turn create more problems. And guess how those are dealt with? Our politicians practice compassion by voting for more government programs (Just my opinion but I believe true compassion involves person to person contact. The Tragedy of American Compassion by Marvin Olasky is a great book on the subject.).

So that’s my little rant and I know it’s not unique or universally conceded.

Just this week I was thinking about my brother’s birthday coming up in a few weeks. I usually have something squared away by now but this time I just couldn’t come up with a thing. I can’t believe I found the perfect gift for $1!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?